Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help needed    

Help needed

Lenonka
Poland

Help needed

Could you help me to explain why in the case of the first sentence there is an inversion between �you � and �have �, but in the second sentence there is none? It seems natural to me, but I failed at explaining it to some of my beginning students.

1. How many times have you been in love?
2. What �s the most beautiful country you have ever been to?

Thanks a lot and have a nice day.

8 Oct 2009      

anitarobi
Croatia

Because the first one is a direct question, and the second one is sort of an indirect question. In the 2nd example, the direct-question part is actually What �s the most beautiful country, and the part you have ever been to is actually a relative clause (the longer version would also be that/which you have ever been to). Only the direct question part has the inversion!

8 Oct 2009     

lovinglondon
Spain

I explain my students that they must have as many inversions verb-subject as question marks they have. So you can �t have two inversions in the same question. In the first one you �ve got "have"+"subject-you". In the 2nd one you �ve got "is"+"subject-the most beautiful country".....the rest of the sentence muctn �t have an inversion.
 Take Care

8 Oct 2009     

Lenonka
Poland

Thanks a lot!

8 Oct 2009     

abaza
Qatar

Dear colleague
  Have in the first question serves as an auxialary that is a must after what and as a part of the whole meaneing of have been. It is a double edged weapon.
The second part inversion happened in the first part of the question so there is no need to make other invertions in the second partor it will be grammatically fatal.
              Thanks keep on

8 Oct 2009