Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > levels and learners    

levels and learners

adriennesmiles
Australia

levels and learners

I have a question concerning beginner adult learners. Any resources I �ve seen, and ever used for beginners are based at a children �s interest. What kinds of resources are available for beginning adult learners, or even a link to download some from this site.
I �m stuck, how CAN I make learning INTERESTING for adults who are just beginning to learn English, even for preliminary adult learners, such as teaching the alphabet, for adults.
THANKS. Smile

10 Oct 2009      

anitarobi
Croatia

You must never forget that adults are all still children inside (no matter how hard they try to hide it), and adult beginners have two big problems: 1. motivation (most of them learn because they have to, which is like driving a car with the break stepped on all the time) and 2. shame (they feel shame for having trouble remembering, shame over having pronounciation problems, shame over getting graded by anybody since regular school is over, which is like riding a bicycle on a road that �s just too bumpy to take). This is why they are difficult to teach, especially because they themselves THINK they want a serious, classical, methodical way of teaching. Your job is to be able to �cheat � them into playing with language, playing word games, using funny videos and lots of humour in your classes - laughter breaks the shame-barrier and makes them forget about the fact that they study because they must. Insert a word game every now and then (even a simple word memory game with word cards can help - I used my kids � elementary Christmas memory word-card set with adults, and the next lesson they had a Christmas dictation with those words- they were proud because they did great). Try Damir �s wonderful recommendation for videos (I use it as short breaks or intros to lessons and it works fantastically http://www.travelbtm.com/apps/videos/channels/show/447948-our-world-in-movies)) and also check this site for some adult materials and word games. Songs can also be a great asset in classroom repertoire - I love using Frank Sinatra for all levels and age groups (and so do they), because of his clear diction and simple lyrics). Good luck!
Anita

10 Oct 2009     

missveronica
Argentina

I was going to say something similar. I usually search for online vids in youtube.com and try to work with them.
Games are also a great idea,unfortunately if you have one or twostudents it might be difficult  to keep it interesting

There �s a funny WS, dont remember how to find it though, based on a Hugh Laurie vid you can find online, this is the link to the video.
If anybody remembers the WS it will be great

I also use LOADS of easy but modern songs

Well, PM me if you need anything :)

10 Oct 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I definitely recommend using music.  It really relaxes people and you can start off with some very simple repetitive songs that are aimed at adults (beetles songs are great for this!).

I also recommend using games. 

Jenga:
Put people in pairs or groups of three and have them compete against each other.  You can make up very simple games.  EG - get some jenga blocks (cheap at most markets you go to) and write the alphabet on them use whiteboard markers or little round stickers so you can reuse with different concepts.  HAve students play jenga while calling out the letter - you can deal out the blocks so they build the tower in alphabetical order or you can jumble them up and have the students remove the blocks in alphabetical order - or just play like they usually do but say the letter as they pull it out.

Download character cards - have adults introduce their �card �.

Play headbands

Check out my Simpsons Guess Who - it is a great game that I have used with adults and children - everyone loves the simpsons - I have used it on my computer screen and printed out as an A3 colour laminated sheet.  It gives students a chance to practice simple sentences, colour, direction etc.

There are some great map activities on this site where students have to give directions to each other - adults love this too!  Just use simple language like up, down, left, right, and give base sentences to use.

I think that something fun with repetition is really the key with adult learners.

My favourite activity was to describe a photo.  I would take in my laptop and show all sorts of pictures - I found that the free background/screensaver program - webshots - gave me a wide range of pictures for people to describe.

If you look up games on this site you will find so many that you won �t know what to do with yourself!

Oh yeah - look up Taboo - there are some great taboo cards to be found on this website that are useful to use.  Everyone loves playing Taboo!

Good Luck

PS - Just noticed you are an aussie - so I bet you know heaps of great drinking games - just use them without the alcohol!  A ship came into harbour with a cargo load of .... verbs, pronouns, alphabet letters etc.

Whiz, boing, bounce - using left right etc.

Add ons

all great drinking games make great sober games!

10 Oct 2009     

adriennesmiles
Australia

Thanks for the advice and links... :)

10 Oct 2009     

adriennesmiles
Australia

Yay for the aussie, loads of advice and fun games... only i don �t drink, so am a bit short on the drinking games, but i get the gist. :) Thanks.

10 Oct 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

erm.... Kiwi actually.... am missing two critical stars on my flag to be aussie.   LOLno offense taken though...I actually quite like the aussies.

10 Oct 2009     

missveronica
Argentina

Drinking games make AWESOME drinking games!
PLZ, do teach me a drinking game to play at my bday and get my friends drunk Evil Smile
Not that they need much help actually
please, please

10 Oct 2009