Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Complex Sentence Activity    

Complex Sentence Activity

N.F.T
South Africa

Complex Sentence Activity

I �ve had a request from my UPPER INTERMEDIATE class - they �re all tired of writing �simple � sentences and they want a lesson (or 2) on how to write complex sentences.  Any advice or activities you can offer to make this an exciting lesson?  They �re all very competant at grammar rules etc, but still they seem to write very simple sentences.  Any suggestions?

11 Oct 2009      

i_love_english
France

I was thinking of a speaking activity you might want to try first.
A sentence goes round the class and they have to add up elements.
Ex:
Student 1: I know a man.
St 2 : I know a Black man.
St 3: I know a Black man who was born in Jamaica.
St 4: I know a Black man who was born in Jamaica and who became the most famous reggae artist of all times.
Etc...
Do you think that could help?
Steph

11 Oct 2009     

baiba
Latvia

To Steph

I was just wondering if you received my message... Maybe it is again the case when PM does not work?

11 Oct 2009     

i_love_english
France

No baiba, I didn �t get your message!! What was it about?

11 Oct 2009     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Interesting post NFT, and stexstme, I �m going to check out those links, looks like there �s some very useful stuff there

11 Oct 2009     

ELOJOLIE274
France

try my personality quiz: let them read the quiz, find the adjectives that correspond to themselves. then you can ask: what are you like? if they answer, I �m quiet, try to make them complete the sentence, why are you quiet? I �m quiet because i �m not chatty / because i never chat in class.
the lesson you write in their notebook could contain complex sentences like
I �m chatty because...
on the contrary my friend X chats in class, so he �s chatty and talkative.

advantages: they talk about themselves, and they learn to link sentences together

11 Oct 2009     

alsacienne
France

For complex sentences: When you write your lesson on the board, leave blanks where the students can put linking words (however, nonetheless, whereas) or when they make simple sentences ask them if they can rephrase it.  Always try to link sentences together with relative pronouns and linking words to make sentences longer.  They will not necessarily do this orally, you will need to write them on the board.

11 Oct 2009