Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Chris Rock - Kill the Messenger    

Chris Rock - Kill the Messenger

missveronica
Argentina

Chris Rock - Kill the Messenger

DEar Friends, as you know I mostly teach grown ups. Consequently I prepare WS dealing with "grown up issues"
I �m preparing a series of WS on "Men and Women"
They are basically three WS dealing with this topic, the thing is that I am working with this VID and it does say LOADS of nasty words.
I have seen WS with the F word here..but the main problem will be the "ideas"
Well, anyway, basically I want to know what you think. Should I post this activity or not?

11 Oct 2009      

Mar0919
Mexico

Hi, Miss Veronica! Personally, I wouldn �t post an activity with nasty words here. Why? Because, supposedly we �re "educating" our ss, of whatever age they  may be. If we as teachers use nasty words in our worksheets, we �re saying it �s OK to use them. Next thing  you know, they �ll be asking us to teach them how to say &%$�$ or $%&%� in English!!!!

Well, that �s only my personal opinion. I do not permit nasty words in my class: EVER. Am I too old-fashioned?

Mar

11 Oct 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I never use the F word because it is really an insulting word for "middle class" Americans.

People often get the wrong idea from all the swear words used in B-films.
If I set a good example by never using them in my class, my kids won �t use it either. (I hope)

This is my own desperate fight against language moving down to lowest denominator.
Some people think they sound so cool talking like ghetto thugs. But I think it �s horrible.
Often young kids who swear a lot really have no other language to express themselves with.

Swear words are a last resort in a desperate situation and the problem with using them with ESL students is, that students never really know how insulting those words are to a native speaker.

If any of your adults went to the USA and tried to get a job and by mistake used a swear word, they wouldn �t get the job.

There must be millions of other materials to use, then THUG language.

That �s just my opinion.

L

11 Oct 2009     

missveronica
Argentina

I do agree with both of you. However, I think Chris Rock is hilarious and his vid really works for me. Anyway, I wont post this activity if anybody wants it, I �ll email it. Thx for your opinion

11 Oct 2009