Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > confused    

confused

dilekatameric
Turkey

confused

hi everyone
I �m a little bit on two questions concerned on present continuous (for future) and be going to
which one is correct?
1- Tell me, Alice when ____________ (leave)? "On Saturday afternoon"
     A) are you going to leave
     B) are you leaving

according to me A is the correct choice because the speaker want to learn if there is a certain arrangement. Am I right?

2- Tina ___________ (have) a baby next month.

A) is having
B) is going to have

For me A is correct because it is certain and there is a time expression

İf you can inform me I � ll be glad

thanks in advance

13 Oct 2009      

andreaewa
Uruguay

Both options in both cases are correct

13 Oct 2009     

GigiGraziano
Argentina

I AGREE WITH  ANDREA.. BOTH ARE CORRECT...

13 Oct 2009     

dilekatameric
Turkey

what do  you mean exactly
do you mean a and B choices are correct in both questions
if you  mean that, you are right that both of them give future meaning in spoken language but which one is better for written for

13 Oct 2009     

tanyamp
Russian Federation

I also think that both options are correct. When we talk about arrangements and fixed plans it´s better to use the present progressive, and when about plans, decisions and intentions we say that something is going to happen.

13 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

Both options are correct in theory... but it �s more natural to say in the first case: "When are you leaving?"

13 Oct 2009     

dagtekin
Turkey

ı agree with them 

13 Oct 2009     

tanyamp
Russian Federation

In my opinion in the second case it �s better to say "Tina is going to have a baby next month"

13 Oct 2009     

kenab
Slovenia

sentence number 1 both are correct, the speaker in both cases expresses his decision or intention for the near future

sentence 2 going to is correct, because this structure   can be used to express a future event with the present evidence and pregnancy shows some clear signs

13 Oct 2009     

loty7645
Turkey

I  certainly agree with betica....

13 Oct 2009     

crisholm
Spain

�I/she is leaving next month � is correct because it is an arrangement (it does not only refer to intentions, but to definite steps taken towards the action: tickets, etc.
�She is going to have a baby � - is correct because it refers to �present evidence � for an action which is considered �inevitable � - .(a bit like �look at those clouds! it �s going to rain!)

13 Oct 2009     

1    2    Next >