Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Which is the correct option?    

Which is the correct option?

cely
Argentina

Which is the correct option?

Hi dear teachers!
Which one is the correct: SHE IS A MATHS TEACHER   or  SHE IS A TEACHER OF MATHS?
Thanks so much!!
Cely.

13 Oct 2009      

wilwarin32
Argentina

I �d say a Maths teacher...Smile

14 Oct 2009     

Malvine
Latvia

Yes, it somehow sounds more familiar to me too.

14 Oct 2009     

cely
Argentina

Thanks so much!!Thumbs Up

14 Oct 2009     

Asik6891
Poland

I think both are correct... :/

14 Oct 2009     

minimal70
Morocco

hi every body

for me it sounds more natural to say "the /a teacher of maths"

otherwise how would you explain: english teacher but not teacher of english based on ur "maths teacher" choice?

there will be a confusion if we say english teacher coz people may understand it as a teacher from england who teaches either english or other subjects

thanks

hassan

14 Oct 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I �ve never heard it said in plural.
We always said - He is my math teacher or he is a math teacher.

14 Oct 2009     

chiang
Hong Kong

hi all,
I don �t think "maths" means plural. "Maths" is only the short form of "Mathematics".
For me, I think both are correct. I think the sentence "she is a maths teacher" puts more stress on the subject while the sentence "she is a teacher of maths" puts more stress on the occupation.
I mean when people know that she �s a teacher, just don �t know what subject she teaches, then maybe you �ll say "she is a maths teacher". When people don �t know what �s her job, then maybe you �ll say "she is a teacher of maths".

14 Oct 2009     

Laura-Jane
Japan

I would say Maths teacher but both are ok.
However if you are from the US or speaking American English its Math instead of Maths which is British English. 

14 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

I �d go with �she is a Math(s) teacher � in preference to �she is a teacher of Math(s) �.

Hassan �s post not withstanding, all conversations take place in some form of context, so there is unlikely to be confusion about the country of origin of a teacher & that teacher �s subject.

�a teacher of Math(s) � is more poetic in form. Do you hear people saying or writing things like �(s)he is a driver of cars � or �(s)he drives cars �
�(s)he is a Japanese speaker � or �(s)he is a speaker of Japanese �

It is dependent upon the context. The � a XXX of XXX � form is an uncommon form (but not grammatically incorrect) that is used in the 3rd person in formal or poetic manner.

When I get home I �ll check a couple of references & give a more definitive explanation.

Cheers,
AB

14 Oct 2009     

douglas
United States

I think laura jane and Ab explain it pretty well

Math Teacher is what I use  ("maths" is European English).

Teacher of math(s) is too passive voice for me.

14 Oct 2009