Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I ´ve written a story....     

I ´ve written a story....

Judith@rwen
Argentina

I ´ve written a story....

Hello teachers!

I hope you are all doing great!

I �d like to ask if any of you would be willing to help me with a story I �ve written.
It �s not long... but what I need is someone  to read it and check if I �ve made mistakes. I �d like to share it with you in a printable form, (which I already have in mind) but I �d like to check that there aren �t any mistakes. I �ve read it many times but I still would love to get some suggestions, help from a different reader!..:)

If you happen to have some time to help me, I �d love to receive your message.

...............................-----------..........................-------------....................................

I also have another question, it �s about a song by ColdPlay. Viva la Vida..
I �d like to know if you have any particular interpretation of it.. I �ve been reading and looking for something that could be explained to students.. .. What or who is represented or refered to by this KING in the song?

"I used to roll the dice"

"I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field
For some reason I can not explain
Once you know there was never, never an honest word
That was when I ruled the world"

Thank you!
Sorry for the long post. Hug

14 Oct 2009      

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi Judith,

This is what I have found:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Viva La Vida can be compared with several biblical and historical events, but I think there are the most and clearest parallels between Louis the XVI �s beheading and the song. Here are a couple:

- The first verse obviously describes a loss of important, perhaps dictator-like power. Louis the XVI had absolute power over his people at his acceptance to the thrown, but as he began to appoint new cabinets and groups to make decisions, he began to lose his say in any of the happenings of France. Part of the reason he appointed these was Louis was very unsure of himself (he often dealt with depression and feelings of no hope).
- "Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!" Louis became king when his grandfather, Louis XV, died.
- The third verse (about the "key" and "closed walls") also makes sense because Louis had the key to absolute power at first, but he eventually gave all his power away to advisers and party members, and he realized he really had no power at all. The metaphor of a castle on pillars of salt and pillars of sand reflects his indecisiveness and vulnerability all through his life as king, which ultimately led to many of his mistakes as king.
- The images used in the chorus does correspond with the time period...
- In the fourth verse, the most clear parallel is "sound of drums". Louis XVI attempted to make a speech before he was beheaded, but apparently he was cut off by a drumline.
- The fifth verse fits very well with Louis the XVI. Revolutionaries were usually against Louis; several revolutionaries incited an attack of the Palace of Versailles to kill Louis �s queen. Also, revolutionaries accused Louis of treason, and often used him as a scapegoat for things (which would explain the puppet line.)
- When CP says "St. Peter won �t call my name", obviously that means that the person in the song did not believe he belonged in heaven. Louis usually was depressed and hopeless about being king, which would explain how he thought he wouldn �t even be accepted into heaven."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Taken from a forum. Hope it helps...

14 Oct 2009     

Judith@rwen
Argentina

Thank you dear Tere for your help with the song.
I �m saving this.

14 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Here is the link to the forum Tere-arg has sourced. The entire discussion is very interesting!(http://www.lyricinterpretations.com/lookat.php/bands/Coldplay/ddf219158226343)

Rather than being specifically about Louis XVI (essentially because he died & so had no chance to �walk the streets that I used to own �, for example) I believe the central character of the song is someone who was in power & has been deposed. The metaphor in the song is derived primarily from biblical references with a bit of history thrown in for colour.

Cheers,
AB

14 Oct 2009     

Judith@rwen
Argentina

Thank you very much AB!.
 I �m glad I wasn �t too far away from what is being said here (in the link).. I wanted to know the opinion of members here. 
Thank you for your help agian!

Judith.

14 Oct 2009     

trelly
Argentina

I �d love to read your story! I �ll pm you my email,

Have a nice day!

15 Oct 2009