Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can I use pictures from a film or a magazine for my reading exercise?     

Can I use pictures from a film or a magazine for my reading exercise?

tea-harry
United Kingdom

Can I use pictures from a film or a magazine for my reading exercise?

Hello.
As the title suggests,I want to insert pictures seen in the film for questions about  Harry Potter Series.
I see many of these cases in this site. For educational use, is copying allowed?
In the libray, I hear we are allowed to copy a book, if the copy does not exceed  1/5 of the whole book.

I alson want to know if it is possible to use a photo of my own belongings, like clocks, furniture, tools, etc. for numerous excercises activities.

Thank you very much in advance.

14 Oct 2009      

_babz
Canada

yes you are allowed! but you gotta create something with those images (or texts)
we �re teachers......we �re not photographers nor graphic designers..

although, technically...it is a form of plagiarism....since we are in a way.....taking someone else �s art (or writing)..........

i feel that it is for the greater good, and none of us here are profiting from these images (or texts)

Big smile

14 Oct 2009     

mavgil
Israel

I was just debating this exact question with another colleague when I noted this posting.  This is really a subject that requires some investigation, in my humble opinion.  The problem here, I think, is that our worksheets are distributed across the globe.  If we produced a worksheet solely for use in our own individual classrooms, then it might be acceptable.  But, our worksheets are used in many classrooms.  There is no doubt that many of the pictures on this site are copyrighted and shouldn �t be used without permission and while it isn �t likely that the owners of the copyright will track down this particular site, it could happen.  This is one of the reasons why I haven �t sent many of the worksheets I have created for my individual classes.

As far as copying books is concerned, let �s face it, we all do it, however, most books clearly state whether or not copying is allowed.  If copying is not allowed and you copy anyway, it is illegal!

Just throwing my two cents worth in.

Mavis

14 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

With regard to copyright, if you are using something for non profit educational purposes, most countries recognise something called �Fair Use � as a valid defense - even if a book, movie, whatever has clearly stated copyright. The key is whether you are gaining financial advantage that legally belongs to the copyright holder or your use of said materials impinges upon their ability to earn their money from it.

So, unless you�re in Japan where �Fair Use � is not currently recognised (I don´t know others off the top of my head), then according to the Berne Convention, you really shouldn�t have any problems.

Saying all this, however, you should acknowledge the source of your materials. This will avoid any plagiarism issues.

Finally, on this site, you must include some original input. This means you shouldn �t just copy some questions from somewhere, take some pictures & add nothing of substance of your own. That kind of worksheet would be reported & removed.

If you have a quick search on �copyright � in the forum topic search box (bottom of the home page) you �ll find all sorts of great discussion & links.

Kind regards,
AB

14 Oct 2009     

tea-harry
United Kingdom

So it seems technically we should or might better take the permission to use the images. However, we have no problems as we are using those for non profit educational purposes as long as we add our own sentences or words to the images.

In this context, we may also use some passages from books or films for our reading comprehension test or exercise .

Thank you for your contribution.

15 Oct 2009