Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What īs the extra word?    

What īs the extra word?

ARaquelSP
Portugal

What īs the extra word?

Dear teachers,

What is the extra word in the following sentence?

"It īs a romance film set in the 1920 īs"

I suppose it īs film, but then I wonder if romance is only for books... In that case romance would be the extra word.

Thanks in advance!

14 Oct 2009      

libertybelle
United States

It all depends on how accurate you want your message to be. The adjective - romance is used to define what kind of film it is - so that would be the superfluous word.
If you left out film - then your reader might think it is a book or a love affair you are writing about.
Romance can be used to describe books, films and even a love affair!

L

14 Oct 2009     

ARaquelSP
Portugal

In that case I īll let film out, because in the whole, the example is: "Have you seen Susanna? It īs a romance film set in the 1920 īs". Maybe it works like "a thriller". We don īt say "a thriller film", do we?

Thanks, libertybelle! Thumbs Up

14 Oct 2009     

libertybelle
United States

The word Romance or romantic is the extra word, not film.

If the sentence is, Have you seen Susanna? It īs a film set in the 1920 īs.

It would still be misleading - because it doesn īt tell if it īs a book or film.

15 Oct 2009     

ARaquelSP
Portugal

Hum... this is tricky. That īs why I decided to ask for help here. Both words seem correct alone, but strange together... Maybe I īll just say that to students tomorrow.

Thanks for your help, libertybelle.

15 Oct 2009     

Portugal

Raquel,

This is what I make of it:

Other meanings of romance (except for the one LL referred to) don īt fit in here, because of the date.

So, I think the key word to the puzzle would be the verb set, more appropriate to refer to a film.

15 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

I īd say the extra word is "film"...

It īs like saying "It īs a comedy film" - here "film" is the extra word...

15 Oct 2009     

ARaquelSP
Portugal

You mean that it īs odd to say "... a romance set in the 1920 īs.", Nika? 

15 Oct 2009     

Jayho
Australia

The use of the two words togther, as in romance film, is quite common.

Info here: 

Example:

Alexandra Pelosi, the daughter of Nancy Pelosi (Speaker of the House), will soon be adapting her documentary of George W. Bush𠏋 2000 Presidential campaign into a fictional movie. What𠏋 odd is that it𠏋 going to be a romance film.   http://www.screenhead.com/reviews/george-w-bush-documentary-inspires-romance-film-what/

Cheers - Jayho

15 Oct 2009     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

As it īs not possible to īsee � a book �, I would say the superfluous word is īfilm �.

15 Oct 2009     

Portugal

@ Ana, no I donīt,

@ Jayho - You īre right, Jayho, they can be put together, such as in romance film,  war film , sc-fic film;  however,  Ana asked about the extra word. So, we have to reason on selecting one or the other, I guess. This is how I understood Ana īs request.

Edit1: if there is a word to be taken out, it would be romance (besides, other meanings of romance, such as a type of poetry and similar, or linguistical meaning donīt fit so well with the time mentioned).
I think I understand the reason for your doubt, Ana. Are you thinking of romance considering its meaning in Portuguese? (for the other members, romance in Portuguese means novel)

Sorry, my IC went down and I had to repeat the whole thing.

Edit 2:Check other meanings of romance, please,  such as 3a &b,  6 and 7., referred to, here:

ij

15 Oct 2009     

1    2    3    Next >