Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Doubts on fruit/ veggies    

Doubts on fruit/ veggies

dayssb
Brazil

Doubts on fruit/ veggies

I was preparing a class about fruit and vegetables but I faced some problems. Maybe you could help me...

1) I`ve always learned that the word FRUIT has no plural but I saw it in many places written FRUITS. Is it correct to use plural with it?
2) The words GRAPES and PEAS must always be plural or can we say GRAPE and PEA?
3) Is the singular of the word VEGGIES, VEGGY??? Or is it always used in plural?
4) Which fruit is Grape fruit? In Portuguese I found it translated as Toranja but I`ve never seen such a word.
Sorry for asking so many questions but it`s been such a long time since the last class I taught about this subject.
Thank you guys

15 Oct 2009      

Zora
Canada

1. - Fruits can be used when you are referring to types of fruit. But you can �t really say "One fruit, two fruits..." this is wrong, it should be "one fruit, two pieces of fruit..."
2. Grapes and peas can be singular. You could say "Do you want a grape to try?", "Oh, look there is a pea on the floor."
3- I usually use veggies in the plural form.
4. Grapefruit is also called a "pomelo" in Spanish - maybe that name rings a bell and if not it is a citrus fruit, bigger than an orange with a lighter skin and it is on the sour side like a lemon.

15 Oct 2009     

Asik6891
Poland

You can look those words up in the dictionary- there should be written if it has a pural form. In my dictionary I have found: Fruits, grape and pea. I can �t say anything about Veggies but I suppose there is a singular veggy. Grape is
 http://images.google.pl/images?hl=pl&source=hp&q=grape&btnG=Szukaj+obraz%C3%B3w&gbv=2
just here- You don �t know how it looks? am I right? If I misunderstood- Sorry:)
 Have a nice day!

15 Oct 2009     

Jayho
Australia

To add to what Zora wrote:

We can use fruits as a plural when we are  talking about different types of fruit e.g. oranges, bananas and other fruits.

The singular word of veggies is veggie (or even sometimes vegie).  Sometimes in a cafe you will see a veggieburger on offer. You can view best veggie recipes here on this popular Australian recipe site: http://recipefinder.ninemsn.com.au/slideshow_ajax.aspx?sectionid=6627&sectionname=slideshow&subsectionid=155776&subsectionname=vegetarian

Grapefruit is just like the picture Zora posted.  It is nothing like a grape and bigger than a large orange (and smaller than a small melon).  You can write it as one word or two words but we usually write it as one word.

Cheers - Jayho

15 Oct 2009     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

To add further:
In the UK,  �vegetable � is nearly always preferred to  �veggie �, both in written and spoken English,  and so you could say, �Do you want another vegetable or are two enough? �

15 Oct 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi
It seems you got lots of answers, there is only one thing missing - yes, the Portuguese name for grapefruit is  " toranja ". It is quite common here, in Portugal, usually it is too juicy, but less sweet than oranges. I think I have never seen them in Brazil.
Hugs from Portugal
linda

15 Oct 2009     

dayssb
Brazil

Thank you so much. You helped me a lot. I`ve never eaten Grape fruit but that`s something I`ll defenetly need to try when I travel again. Hugs from Brazil

15 Oct 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Grapefruit used to grow outside my window in California.
It �s really sour and I used to cover it in sugar!!!
(not my favorite fruit!)

L

15 Oct 2009     

douglas
United States

Grapefruit juice is often found in "sport drinks"  grapefruit juice is also used to make an alcoholic mixed drink called a "Salty Dog" (gin and grapefruit).

15 Oct 2009