Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I NEED A HELP    

I NEED A HELP

miss noor
Palestine

I NEED A HELP

Hi,

How r u?

There are 2 new words : out in the open and accidentally  .

Can u help me to explain them to my sts???

Is the word : out in the open used or is it rarely used ??????

Is deal with a phrase ????

Thanks in advance,
Noor

16 Oct 2009      

arwel
Korea, South

Literally, out in the open means being outside and away from any cramped or crowded city. However, it can also refer to a secret that has become common knowledge as in:

"I �m glad Israel �s horrendous treatment of the Palestinians, for so long unreported, is finally out in the open."

In this respect it is quite often used, especially in the media when a politician �s scandalous love affair is exposed:

"Clinton �s five-year secret love affair is finally out in the open. How dare politicians expect a private life!"

Deal with is used when addressing a problem:

"I �m going to deal with that bad student by beating him viciously with a ruler!"

Oh, and accidentally is used to imply that something was not deliberate...

16 Oct 2009     

Portugal

Dear Miss Noor,

Some examples and  possible meanings:

out in the open

I �ve been out in the open with my children, today. I wanted them to collect some evidence that Autumn is here, such as Autumn leaves, for a project on seasons. (quite a common exp., I would say)

deal with:

How to deal with attempts to initiate something you don �t want to be part of: just  ignore.

My best regards.

It �s a fantabulous great day here. Sunny, bright, almost hot: Where are the evidences of Autumn being already out in the open?!?

See you! I �ll be out in the open to get a suntan.

BTW: deal with is a phrasal verb.
Cyber hug to you, Miss Noor.

Edit: sorry, forgot about the accidental(ly):

two examples:

6 Portuguese patients were accidentally treated with the wrong medicine, which caused them blindness. The reason for that medicine being at the surgery room is still being investigated on.

"Poetry is something to which words are the accidental, not by any means the essential form" (Frederick W. Robertson).

16 Oct 2009     

Ciaolina
Argentina

Out in the open: to be outside.
"Despite the cold weather, the man was standing out in the open without a coat"
Accidentally: by mistake, with no intention.
"I accidently bumped the cup with my elbow, sorry!" (it was an accident, I didn �t mean to do it)
Have a nice day!Thumbs Up

16 Oct 2009     

chrisel
Canada

Out in the open can also be used to mean something that is no longer hidden.

"Their secret is now out in the open, and they no longer have to be afraid."

CL

16 Oct 2009     

eng789
Israel

Dear arwel   -  I think you should have found a different example for the use of the phrase
"out in the open".  Possibly - Your ignorance of the Palestinian problem is out in the open for all to see.

We are supposed to keep politics off the forum.

16 Oct 2009