Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How to deal with parents?    

How to deal with parents?

cris03glu
Mexico

How to deal with parents?

Hello dear teachers!
Last week I had a meeting with parents (3rd grade), I �m a new (and young) teacher and it �s been difficult for me to find time to check homework and to really check every student performace, notebooks, etc. In the school i �m working, teachers have to write everything on ss � agenda (homework, notes for parents, etc).
The point is that one mum is not happy about it, she wants to talk to me again (i was told she �s quite upset) and i don �t know what to do, i mean this is the first time it happens to me, i have to admit that i �m a little scared. I think that ss are learning, i thought i was doing my job ok, but it seems is not enough.
How do you deal with it? homework? parents?

I �ll really appreciate your commets

Thnx

Cris**

19 Oct 2009      

JewellS
Thailand

I know how you feel. It is difficult to keep up with the work sometimes. I teach 2 grade 2 classes as well as 2 grade 3 classes everyday. I have to mark 76 workbooks. I usually set aside one period each day for marking. I usually manage to mark one grade each day. Just remember you are not going to please every parent. They usually have some complaint or another. Just explain to her the work you have to complete and assure her you will  do your best to mark books etc at least once a week. Good luck and don �t worry too much about it. You seem to care about your work (otherwise you wouldn �t be so worried) and as you get more experienced things will get easier. I know when I first started I found things a bit overwhelming but you learn as time goes by. Believe me things will get easier.

19 Oct 2009     

cris03glu
Mexico

Thnx, i really hope it becomes easier... hehe i guess it had to happen sooner or later, but why noooow!!! hehe.
It feels good to know i �m not the only one who has to deal with parents.
Thnx a lot :D

19 Oct 2009     

donapeter
Romania

nobody can satisfy all the parents ever! There will always be a parent who wants smth else, who thinks his/her kid is better and he/she is not seen as his/her true value.

19 Oct 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

Dealing with stroppy parents was for me the most stressful part of the job. My advice is to be polite and friendly and let them say what they need to say. If there really is no problem with the child be really positive about the child and comment on the great things they have been doing in class. Apologise for any misunderstanding (if it appears there is one) and always  offer to be available if they need to discuss anything to do about their child �s learning.

I know that this might seem like the real "suck up" route. But in the long run if this parent is going to be a difficult one throughout the year then the best course is one of reassurance and calm. Because the truly awful parents and there are many, will try all sorts of power trips, bullying (I have had this one and I swear I nearly left teaching) or maybe they are just the sort of people who have to have "issues" with everything.
Whatever you do never ever get into a heated discussion with a parent without another teacher (or senior member of staff) around. (More for your safety and also to avoid a the said/she said situation)

Remember YOU are the teacher and you can control the situation by the way that you choose to handle it...and what no one tells you when you sign up for this job is that building good relationships with parents is actually one of the most difficult aspects of the job!

Good luck... I hope that it turns out to be nothing more than a question or two about the class.

19 Oct 2009     

Bare
Croatia

Good point of view cheezels! Clap

19 Oct 2009     

denfer
Czech Republic

I would only add :  be polite and friendly when you speak to parents but don�t be too servile. Be self-confident. I think it is important to show that you know exactly what and why you are doing in class... Usually the parents feel more assured and get the feeling you have everything under control. 
Good luck :-) 

19 Oct 2009     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

I �m also a worrier and I understand your anxiety but that �s right-we can �t please everyone.Just give your best and try to be polite and professional!Good luck!

19 Oct 2009     

marta v
Serbia

I was the same until I found this great book that gave me strength and skills to deal with difficult people. It �s dowloadable free!
http://rapidshare.com/files/157987668/Dealing.with.Difficult.People.0749447516.rar

Hope it helps!
All the best,
Marta

19 Oct 2009     

reeta1
Canada

I   used to have parents complain about me to the principal on a weekly basis. By my fourth year of teaching, my attitude was "screw them" and it still is. What are they going to do, fire me? lol Don �t worry about. If they want to leap over your head to get to the principal, sit up and take notice, If they go right to the superintendent, make sure you �ve dotted all your i �s and crossed all your ts.

19 Oct 2009