Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help please!    

Help please!

rosammd
Spain

Help please!

Hello to all of you!!

I am going to ask you an easy, silly question, but for me right now is confusing.

Can you tell me the difference between IT and THIS: Examples

It is a book; this is a book.

In Spanish they have they same translation.

Thanks in advance.

Have a nice day, Rosa.Wink

20 Oct 2009      

anitarobi
Croatia

It is the third person singular (personal pronoun) and this is a demonstrative pronoun for an object which is close to you. Not that there �s much difference in the meaning, though in Spanish it would be Es un libro. vs. Esto es un libro. (sorry, haven �t used my Spanish in 10 years, so it �s a bit rusty). I see the situation, so I �ll try to picture it for you.
1. It is a book.
Imagine your sts touching an object with eyes closed, and you ask them What is it? It is a book.
or
Imagine you describing an object in English and your sts have to guess what you �re describing. E. G. It �s something made of paper, with covers and pages, and lots of texts inside for you to read. What is it? It �s a book.
2. This is a book.
Imagine you placing different school objects all around the classroom and asking your sts to describe the placement of the objects by using this-that or these-those. You place the book very close to the st, and the pencils far away, so your st has to say: This is a book, and those are pencils. to point out that the book is close, and the pencils are far away.

Hope this helped a bit.
Anita

20 Oct 2009     

sazzag
United Kingdom

Hi Rosa

It is a book translates in Spanish as "Es un libro"

This is a book translates as "Este es un libro"

Hope that helps.

Sarah

20 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

In Spanish they really don �t have the same translation.

It �s a book - Es un libro.

This is a book. - Este es un libro.

20 Oct 2009     

rosammd
Spain

Ok!!! Thank you very much for you help!!

20 Oct 2009