Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teaching English Phonetics    

Teaching English Phonetics

shaly
Albania

Teaching English Phonetics

Suggest me the best way to teach my six year old , English Phonetics (English as a foreign language)

21 Oct 2009      

anitarobi
Croatia

Since the sound is the most important thing with phonetics, you should use a lot of audio materials. There are lots of free downloadable songs and stories for preschool kids available on the internet, but you can also use preschool English coursebooks such as Zig Zag Island/Magic, Cookie and Friends or any other, since they have prepared cds with songs and audio practice. The best way to check pronunciation is to simply mispronounce words for your kid and let him correct you. If you do it with him as a game it will be fun as well. There are also lots of free online games for English preschoolers (Julia �s Rainbow Corner, Dora the Explorer, Diego to the Rescue, Winnie the Pooh Preschool, etc.) which can be used cleverly, but check the games before you let your kid play them. They provide a relaxed game-situation for your kid and he �ll absorb pronunciation without really noticing. Btw, cartoons without synchronization are great - if he likes dinosaurs, you can use The Land Before Time, which has many episodes, wonderful songs, and can be used cleverly as teaching metarial. Good luck!
Anita

21 Oct 2009     

ulkugunes
Turkey

Hey,
After exposuring the child to the target language with songs for a few weeks, I prefer to start  teaching phonetics chunk by chunk, i mean...after reviewing the phonetic alphabet one time (not much) every week I teach one topic: one week "pronounciaiton of the plural -s", the other week the past from -ed"...etc.
I hope it helps.
Ulku Gunes

21 Oct 2009