Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > How frustraiting!!!!!    

How frustraiting!!!!!

Laura-Jane
Japan

How frustraiting!!!!!

I had a worksheet taken off as it was reported as `stolen` which obviously upset me! I had merely used pictures from a college which turned out to be from MES English.
I myself would not say that an original worksheet with some pictures which, obviously,  shouldn �t have been used is a STOLEN worksheet. Maybe the wording needs to be changed in these cases?
 You can imagine my shock when i logged into ESL and was greeting with a message saying STOLEN!!

I have changed all the pictures on my worksheet now (as I had a rare spare 5 mins! ;) ) and now its too big to upload! Really annoying! I have so many sheets on my computer which other teachers could utilise but they are too big! I just dont have time or the inclination to resize every clipart I decide to use. 300KB is really small! I know other people manage it but I dont have the computer knowledge required to do this in a non time consuming way.

Do any other users have this problem?

I really love this website and find it useful but I think that the 300kb limit really limits the material uploaded!

sorry to rant laura

22 Oct 2009      

zailda
Brazil

You �ll find some tutorials here:
http://www.eslprintables.com/buscador/buscar.asp?nivel=any&age=0&tipo=any&contents=tutorial+pictures&B1=Search#thetop

22 Oct 2009     

zailda
Brazil

You �ll find some tutorials here:
http://www.eslprintables.com/buscador/buscar.asp?nivel=any&age=0&tipo=any&contents=tutorial+pictures&B1=Search#thetop

22 Oct 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

If the stolen message was from Mark Cox he is the owner of MES English and he has very very strict rules (which are on his website MES English and Tools for Educators) about how you may use the images. He is a member here and will report any material used from his websites.
So while it may have been upsetting for you, you really do need to make sure to read the fine print on different sites that you use. MES English for example say :

End User License Agreement:  You are free to download any resource from this site as an end user and MES-English.com grants you an End User License with the following restrictions: You may not redistribute, copy, modify, transfer, transmit, repackage, charge for or sell any of the materials from this site.  You may use photocopies or printouts for distribution to your students. MES-English.com reserves the right to terminate or make changes to this agreement for any reason and without notice.

So by uploading to this site you are repackaging (in your own worksheet) and redistributing (by uploading here)....

Lots of members here have paid for memberships to clip art sites or have bought clip art CD �s. There can be great pics to be found online but again read the small print!

Good luck with your future worksheets! Remember what you use in class is absolutely fine but before you upload things here make sure that the pics are not copyrighted like MES English....Big smile

22 Oct 2009     

EvaRamos
Panama

Laura, instead of creating your worksheet through word, Why don �t you try publisher, there you can group all the images and save it as an image, then copy it to a word document, that really reduces the size of the ws. Just a tip Regards, Eva

22 Oct 2009     

libertybelle
United States

You can compress your images in Word or you
can use a compressing program such as Powerlite
which is free the first 10 times and really works well.
L

22 Oct 2009     

Laura-Jane
Japan

Thanks Eva that was a really useful tip. I create my worksheets for my class and uploading them here is often an after thought, hence why i don`t bother to resize my worksheets.

Cheezels: Like I said I didn`t know that the pictures were from MES english as I had taken them from a colleges worksheet (with her permission) if I had know I would have obviously not used them. I have my own clipart cd which I paid for but using hers was a lot easier than sifting through mine to find appropriate ones!

The tutorials however useful are just too time consuming. I have previously resized all the pictures on a worksheet to upload it here and it still didn`t work (probably my fault!).

I think i was just a little upset to log it and find the word STOLEN flashing up on my screen as I had spent a long time on the worksheet and my students thoroughly enjoyed it and it was actually one of my better ones!
To have someone tell me it was stolen was not a good start to the day!!!
I understand where Mark is coming from completely, and am grateful to his website, but maybe he needs to be a little less aggressive. A P.M asking to to change the pictures would have perhaps been more appropriate!

Thanks again xx

22 Oct 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Laura-Jane
I don �t mean to be rude, so please don �t take it that way.
But we �re ALL really busy, yet still find the time to make WSs, compress
images and upload here. I personally use my Paint program to re-size images, because if you re-size in Word, they look smaller but still fill up a lot of space on your computer and in the finished worksheet.
You ought to tell your colleague that using those images are not allowed for anything except hand-outs, in case she/he also wants to upload somewhere on the internet.

L

22 Oct 2009     

Laura-Jane
Japan

Maybe I need to get my computer skills up to scratch! It takes me an insanely long time to do anything like resizing etc!
To be honest my main beef was just having my worksheet called stolen!! Maybe I just took the wording of the email wrong but it was a little aggressive.

I have tried using paint to resize but I find when you print the quality is terrible, is there anyway around this?

x

22 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Check this document for a quick idea. It may work, but it may not... a lot depends on the images you are using. https://www.uwrf.edu/tlc/user_guides/microsoft/word/ho_compress_word.pdf Cheers, AB

22 Oct 2009     

Laura-Jane
Japan

Great advice as usual Alien boy! Thanks, and it is pictorial so it doesn`t matter that I can`t understand the kanji!
すごい!

22 Oct 2009     

1    2    Next >