Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > restaurant tipping    

restaurant tipping

peiolei
Spain

restaurant tipping

Hi, everyone. Sorry if I haven �t uploaded anything lately but I �ve been very busy. I �ll try to do something asap. I �m writing here because I need your help. I �m working on a lesson plan related to restaurants, and I would like to include a reading or a listening comprehension about tipping abroad (preferably in English-speaking countries) in order to deal with cultural differences. The level is pre-intermediate or intermediate (for the 1st year of bachillerato for Spanish teachers) and I �ve been looking for it all the morning but the research hasn �t been successful. Could you help me? If you have a listening, it would be great if you had the transcript as well, I also need to include it.
Thanks in advance,
Paola

22 Oct 2009      

mblack977
United Kingdom

Tipping generally depends on the service provided. If the service has been good then its usually a 10% tip or more. In many resturants i have seen that they add a service charge so its important that some part of the conversation focuses on discussing how good the service has been and looking to see if a service charge has been added. Unlike the US and maybe lots of other countries the waiters and waitresses are paid a set wage here in the UK and dont rely on the tips however it is expected that you do tip.

22 Oct 2009     

mariannina
Italy

What about the hotels, what �s the fair tip to give? It would be nice to know what it is  like all over the world! They say that we Italians don �t give good tips, is it true?
Ciao

22 Oct 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Try these.

22 Oct 2009