Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > vocabulary doubt    

vocabulary doubt

lileta03
Spain

vocabulary doubt

I often wonder if "overall" is the correct word for referring to the piece of clothes children use at school in order not to get dirty. I �d like to use the correct word, as I everyday tell my pupils to put on the overall and I �m not sure if this word is used in school context. Can somebody help me?

Thank you

23 Oct 2009      

Zora
Canada

Actually, if you are talking about the little robe "bata" type thing they wear in primary school here, we would call it a "smock" in English.  Smile

23 Oct 2009     

Mietz
Germany

The kids I looked after as an Au-pair called it "apron". :-)

23 Oct 2009     

roneydirt
United States

Overalls to me...

but think your talking about apron or smock...

apron covers the front while the smock resembles more like a very big shirt

23 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

Smock:

Apron:

23 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

Actually ladybird, she �s talking about a smock. The children in kindergarten (early primary school) use them here all the time. It �s sort of a "uniform" of sorts - all the kids wears them... Smile

23 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

Well, from what I see... not too many children here play in sandboxes or the mud! lol  But what I do see, is masses of little ones dressed with "a little dress" item of clothing over their clothes when they go to school or are out on the playgrounds...

Smile

23 Oct 2009     

eng789
Israel

An overall can also have sleeves - like the ones mechanics sometimes wear.

23 Oct 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Thank you  Linda, I had never heard about a smock; here kids, up to eight/nine also use a smock ( which, in fact I had no idea what could the name be, as my kids don �t use it anymore ) and then, sometimes they use a kind of apron with some special and dirty activities. Overall, for me, is what roney said and, yes Ladybird, you are right, there is no mud down here, in the south, so I think they go out and play in a sand box and then, their mummies have to wash the clothes and the kids. LOL

23 Oct 2009     

lileta03
Spain

I �m really happy with all these wonderful explanations and pictures that illustrate my doubt. I thank everybody who answered my question.
I �d like to clarify that in my school children from 3 to 8 must wear smock during school time even during the break. They are used to play in the playground with the smock on. And the day we paint in class they have another smock that they only use for painting. It is usually an old smock or the one they used the previous course.

Now I �d like to ask two more questions which really worry me. I don �t know how to say "�tienes mocos?" in English. I usually tell children to blow their nose but I don �t know exactly how to ask them. Is "snot" the correct word to talk about mucus?
And finally, I tell my children: "go to the toilet!" when they have pee or poo. Can I say: Go for a wee /pee! or Go to pee! and the same with poo, Go to poo! or go for a poo!?

Thank you

25 Oct 2009