Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Reading assessment    

Reading assessment

nite
Spain

Reading assessment

Hello all!

I �m finally an official English teacher yay! Smile I �m currently working as a substitute for a few months in a state school. The teacher I �m substituting asked me to assess students � reading. I asked him what his creteria was and he said he just put the mark on his notebook but I would like to create some rubric in order to be fair as I �m not as experienced as him. I �d appreciate if someone could give me some ideas to begin with because I �m a bit lost Confused

Thanx!

24 Oct 2009      

julianbr
Italy

hi Nite .. could you be a little more specific? .. assess the students � reading ability as to what purpose? .. if the only criteria is for the students to understand  the  text being read, I would simply prepare some questions based on the text and make an assessment according to the answers they give.  I would make the answers multiple choice so the students � writing doesn �t become an issue .. 

24 Oct 2009     

nite
Spain

Thanks juilan,

You �re right, he is more interested in pronounciation and tone rather than what they undrestand. He asked me to make them read aloud and so I could put a mark as they read.

24 Oct 2009     

nite
Spain

Thanks juilan,

You �re right, he is more interested in pronounciation and tone rather than what they undrestand. He asked me to make them read aloud and so I could put a mark as they read.

24 Oct 2009     

nite
Spain

Ok thanx! The link is useful tho :)

24 Oct 2009     

julianbr
Italy

I agree with Stexstme .. it isn �t really reading you are assessing but pronunciation and other aspects concerned with phonetics .. the only way I �d know how to do that is impressionistically  ..  listen to the student and put a mark according to what I thought he/she deserved.  

24 Oct 2009     

nite
Spain

Ok then, I �ll see what happens. Thanx you two!

24 Oct 2009     

julianbr
Italy

ur wc .. be good to know how you get on .. 

24 Oct 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

You can grade pronunciation, fluency in reading patterns, intonation, understanding (if you wish)... A lot depends on their age and knowledge level - you need to have a good understanding of what is expected from your group - if their performance suits the expected, the grade is great! Good luck
Anita

24 Oct 2009     

zizou27300
Algeria

Hello there
As we all know, in teaching, reading is a purposeful activity. I was taught: never ask a student to read a passage without a purpose.  You have so many choices to test STDS comprehension skills and a wide variety of tasks such as True or False, MCQ, auxiliary qqs, choose the best title, which sentence best summerizes the text, match qqs with answers, match characters with activities, match dates with events ...etc

24 Oct 2009     

mourisca
Portugal

Hello, Nite...
Just wanted to say welcome to our amazing group of teachers!

24 Oct 2009     

1    2    3    Next >