Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Getting kids to remember !    

Getting kids to remember !

yetigumboots
Germany

Getting kids to remember !

Hi everyone
Do any of you have a magic way of getting children to remember their vocabulary? I have one girl who I am sure really trys to learn, but a couple of days later it is all gone again. Are there any special tips anyone can give me to help her. I am going nuts here. he he

Thanks to all of you for your help

Yeti xx

5 Nov 2008      

spring
Turkey

Hi Yeti,
I generally advise my SS to write the new vocabulary on a piece of paper(even, it is preferable if they draw pictures to illustrate the word  instead of writing it) and stick those papers to places they can easily see.For example on a fridge,behind the toilet door:))))  (Because this place is visited most throughout the day:))))
Also I mentioned this before,I am using Voc boxes in my classes.Everyday SS put a new word in that box and we play games with that words.Usually games like silent-movies..
Hope these tips work with your Ss too.

5 Nov 2008     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Hi Yeti:

To help my students remember their vocabulary I have one student a day write about 5 to 10 vocabulary words we use each day on a card.  I put the cards in a box and accumulate them.  Once a day a pick some of the cards and have a student compose a sentence with the vocabulary on the card.  I also tell the students to be prepared to ask one question with the vocabulary they have learned that day for the next day.

Hope this helps.

5 Nov 2008     

Zora
Canada

For that I find that revising words daily is good, or whenever they have class. Usually, I start out going over the words orally, showing the cards and asking them to tell me what they are. Then I go over them, and I ask them if it�s that word... (xample, "I�ll say is it a dog?" but show a picture of a frog ... and then they need to tell me what it is...) 

I also throw in a word match up or vocabulary writing activity at the end before I move on to something else... AND at the end of the class - last five minutes or so, I ask them out of the blue the vocabulary or have them write it on the blackboard...

Granted I do have small groups and I can say this works for me, but I honestly couldn�t say if in a large group such things work well or not.

6 Nov 2008     

yetigumboots
Germany

Thanks for your help guys. I also do all that. I use kartei cards and the box but it just does not sink in. (I am only talking about this one child at the moment. With the others it works quite well so I think she may have some kind of memory problem) I will try the drawing a picture next to the word. That might help.
Thanks to all of you for your nice comments.

Yeti xx

6 Nov 2008