Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help!    

Help!

Jenna M
Portugal

Help!

Hello! Smile

I simple words what�s the diference between:

Mr / Mrs / Miss / Madam / Ms /

I don�t remember very well...

Thanks in advance!!!

5 Nov 2008      

missundaztood_74
Spain

MR IS A MAN BUT YOU NEED A SURNAME AFTER THAT FOR EXAMPLE:
MR SMITH.
IF WE DONT KNOW ANY NAME OR SURNAME WE JUST CALL HIM SIR.
 GOOd MORNING SIR.

Mrs is a married woman Mrs Smith is  Mr Smith�s wife. If you don�t know a name or surname you call her Madam
Good afternoon Madam

Miss is a single woman  Miss Danvers

Ms is the formula used in general when we want to refer to a woman in a letter, because generally we dont know if she is married or not.

hope it can help you

xoxo

5 Nov 2008     

Ana Celeste
Portugal

Mr =  used for men!  Example:  Good Morning Mr.  Smith.

Mrs =  used for a married woman:  Hello Mrs.  Ford, how are you?

Miss =  used for a young, single woman:  Example:  Miss Jones, are you ok?

Ms =  is the abbrviation of Miss  (see Miss)

Madam is used for ladies both married or single, when you don�t know their names.  Example:  Can I help you, madam?

Hope I could help.

5 Nov 2008     

Koenigin der Nacht
Cyprus

What we once learnt at university was that the title Ms is assumed by those women who believe that "their marital status is irrelevant and is marked only for men�s convenience".  Thus, it can also be used by women who don�t want to make it apparent whether they are married or not. :-)

5 Nov 2008     

missundaztood_74
Spain

although we more or less say the say things about ms. i looked it up on wikipedia.
what o you think about what i found?

Ms
(UK) or Ms. (USA) (pronounced /m?z/ or /m?z/[1]) is an English honorific used with the last name or full name of a woman. As with Mrs. and Miss, Ms. is a contraction of the honorific "Mistress", which is the feminine of "Mister" or "Master". However, unlike Miss and Mrs., it does not presume the addressee�s marital status. Ms. originated in the United States and was popularized in the 1970s. In the U.S., the Emily Post Institute states that Ms. is the default form of address for business correspondence with a woman.[2]

5 Nov 2008     

Koenigin der Nacht
Cyprus

Interesting!  So, we are both right! :-)

5 Nov 2008     

Jenna M
Portugal

THANKS A LOT  FOR YOUR HELP !! Thumbs Up

5 Nov 2008     

Abigail Gilbert
United Kingdom

Mr is used for a man whether he is married or not, it just let�s you know the person is male.  I use Ms for myself for the same reason - I am a woman and don�t think my marital status is relevant.  The assumption used to be that Ms was a divorced woman, but that�s old-fashioned now.

If I am writing to a woman and don�t know her preferred title (Mrs, Miss or Ms) I always use Ms.  It�s more polite than making an assumption!

6 Nov 2008