Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > To bite somebody īs hand off    

To bite somebody īs hand off

genzianella
Italy

To bite somebody īs hand off

Hi fellow teachers! I īve come across this new idiom I īve never heard before and was wondering if the meaning is really "to eagerly accept an offer". I found it on "english-test.net" but I haven īt been able to find it elsewhere (I always double-check). Thanks for your help!

26 Oct 2009      

Jayho
Australia

Hi genzianella

I īm a native speaker and I have never heard this before.  I found your reference and I must say that this question had strange answer options.

Maybe someone else can enlighten us.

Cheers - Jayho

26 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

I īve never really heard of "to bite one īs hand off." BUT I have heard "to bite one īs head off." ... and that means to "get angry or irritated very easily with somebody."

I guess like Jayho, I will wait to see if any other natives have heard the phrase before.

26 Oct 2009     

genzianella
Italy

Hi there! Thanks for your answers! This is why I always double check what I find on the Internet and this one seemed especially weird to me! This is strange though as "english-test.net" has always been a reliable source ... Thanks anyway, if two native speakers find this odd it means either the idiom doesn īt exist or if it does it īs not widespread. It īs proof enough for me and I īll cross it out from my list, just to be on the safe side!

26 Oct 2009     

littlecityblue
France

Yes, it īs a widely used term in the UK to mean to eagerly accept an offer.

26 Oct 2009     

julianbr
Italy

I think it can also be  īto snatch one īs hand off �

26 Oct 2009     

pinarkrts
Turkey

hi friends  (DESPERATELY    URGENT !!!!)

I am looking for teachers who can run aproject with us!!!!!!!!!Clap

it is about a comenious project (ERASMUS)

we (Turkish tecahers) want to share  our experience with you and also we kindly want you to share yours with us.

if you are interested about it I will give the project details.

26 Oct 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

It must be said only in the UK in that manner because I have only heard what the other native speakers are saying.

Carla

26 Oct 2009     

kmtr
United States

I have heard it before here in the US, in the same way that you had it--to eagerly accept the offer (so eager that you grabbed their hand along with the paper...) I wouldn īt say it īs super common, but I īve definitely heard it before (probably my mom--she īs full of good idioms like that!) and knew right away what you meant.

26 Oct 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I would have to agree with Zora and Carla.  I have never heard it used in Canada.  It may exist but, I have yet to hear it used.

26 Oct 2009     

genzianella
Italy

thanks a million for your answers!

26 Oct 2009     

1    2    Next >