Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > The movie "Gran Torino"    

The movie "Gran Torino"

niacouto
Portugal

The movie "Gran Torino"

Hi everyone,

I usually put my students to watch the movie "Crash" (Paul Haggis) - I �m sharing a viewing worksheet with you - for the topic "Multiculturalism". However, I �m getting a bit tired of watching it over and over again!!!
Does anyone have activities for "Gran Torino" that I �m considering for this year?

Thank you

26 Oct 2009      

teresapr
Portugal

How about the film "The namesake"? It�s very interesting since it deals with USA and INDIA and immigrant� �s struggle in order to assimilate the 2 cultures?
By the way, I �ve one worksheet about it, but I �m recommending it because my students did really like it!

27 Oct 2009     

pmca
Portugal

Hello!

There are several interesting films you can use in class for the topic Multiculturalism.

I have used in class the following (and my students loved each one of them):

Bend it Like Beckham (Pakistani girl living in London who wants to be a football player)

Bride and Prejudice�(very Bollywood-like film) - not so interesting but fun

My personal favourites and my students absolutely loved them:

East is East�(Pakistani immigrant family living in England in the 70s)

In This World by Michael Winterbottom (brilliant docu-film about an Afghan boy who leaves the refugee camp (Pakistan) where he was born to emigrate to London. The film shows us the process of illegal emigration. It is an interesting but poignant story. A MUST if you ask my opinion.) You can find several activities for this film in the textbook LINKS 11 - Porto Editora�(Reading Expeditions booklet).�

Films I haven �t used in class yet, but I �m seriously considering in using them this�school year:�

Persepolis an animation film by Marjane Satrapi (French language) �- �It is an autobiographical story about an Iranian girl who lived the Islamic Revolution and then goes to live in Paris. Great to talk about cultural clashes and prejudice / stereotypes.

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - It is about the forbidden friendship between an eight-year-old German boy and a Jewish concentration camp prisoner.�

Slumdog Millionaire - It is about Jamal Malik, an eighteen-year-old orphan from the slums of Mumbai, who is just one question away from winning a staggering 20 million rupees on India �s �Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? � Arrested on suspicion of cheating, he tells the police the incredible story of his life on the streets, and of the girl he loved and lost.

The Class (French langg) - about a teacher struggling with a tough multicultural class in the suburbs of Paris. Very interesting as it is presented as a microcosmos of French society nowadays.

�For these films you can use the online activities that you can find at this fantastic website called filmeducation.org :

I believe there might be more films that you can use. These are the ones that I recall immediately.

If you need help, PM me!

Have a great week!

Paula�Wink

27 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

This study guide might give you a few ideas:

Cheers,
AB

27 Oct 2009     

baiba
Latvia

Thank you all for the excellent tips and links!

27 Oct 2009