Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > modals of obligation    

modals of obligation

mr.dgdln
Turkey

modals of obligation

I �m shocked to be confused on this topic. my confusion started when I started getting prepared to teach modals of obligation "should / must / have to" an hour ago.
first of all , I �m afraid I was misspelling the positive form of "must"

mustn �t or musn �t ? which one is correct?

(I searched on the internet I get both results. but grammar books write "mustn �t" )

I have two more questions :

1. In England, you _________ drive on the left. ( must/ have to)
2. In Polan in wintertime it is very cold. So people ______ wear thick clothes. ( must/ have to)

I need your urgent help. My lesson is starting in 3 hours. So I need to be ready by then.

27 Oct 2009      

Zora
Canada

The correct contraction is "mustn �t".

And I would say:

1. mustn �t - because it �s a law and must goes with laws, rules and social obligations.
2. it could be both here... but I �d go for "have to" since it �s a strong suggestion as to what a person should do.

Smile

27 Oct 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Check your pm.

27 Oct 2009     

Saskush
Mexico

I agree with Zora, It �s mustn �t.

Must is an obligation if you don �t do it you will face bad concequences and have to is more like a suggestion, because if you don �t do it the cosequences are not as bad or none at all. It �s your choice.

Bye

27 Oct 2009     

ishu
Turkey

As far as I �m concerned, "have to" is used when there is an external obligation and "must" is used when there is an internal one. Like "You have to keep quiet in a library." and "I must wash my hair before I go to bed."

In the sentences you provided, I �d say:

1. mustn �t - because the negative form applies to both internal and external obligations
2. must - because it �s strong advice as in "It �s a great book. You must read it."

27 Oct 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I was taught that with must it is a law or obligation or something you impose on yourself.
Eg.  You must wear a seatbelt.  The law states this.
I must clean my room, it is dirty.

Have to is something that someone imposes upon you.
Eg.  Mary, you have to clean you room today.

However, I find in conversational English that many people use  have to more than must. 

I sent you something on this.

27 Oct 2009     

mr.dgdln
Turkey

Thanks all of you for your kind help.
special thanks to _ladybird_ for your explanation. it was very sensible of you.

27 Oct 2009