Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Picasa Albums    

Picasa Albums

ronit85
Israel

Picasa Albums

Good evening /morning!

I have been trying to figure out what the terms of use for cliparts and pictures found in PICASA albums are. There are tons of wonderful, useful items there, the question being - can we use them in our workpages here in this site?
Thanks 

27 Oct 2009      

silvanija
Lithuania

If pictures  from different student �s books and workbooks that definitely have a copyright are allowed here then I do not see any problem using ones from Picasa.

27 Oct 2009     

mariannina
Italy

How do you find cliparts in Picasa? I only have got one link, but they say there are a lot. What is the key for the research? Thank you and ciao.

27 Oct 2009     

ronit85
Israel

There is no search engine - you just have to go from one album to another and  find what is interesting. It is very time consuming but fun.

As for copyrights, I too have tried to discover the policy for Picasa albums but without any success.

27 Oct 2009     

silvanija
Lithuania

Nobody here has the right to use pictures from ESL books too. But it �s always said that if you add an exercise of yours - it �s OK. Why it should be any different with all other stuff? I remember someone writing on the forum that Mena suggested her changing pics because of the copyright, but nobody suggests changing pics taken from books even if it �s a huge picture with a tiny task added. Why???

Well, I do not think that this site is the right place to discuss the copyright at all, as we will end up deleting most of the stuff here.

27 Oct 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Hi! The site Sylvie is talking about is one of my favourite sites for graphics: http://www.thistlegirldesigns.com/

I know that there are hundreds of them in Picasa and I have reported the site for abuse.   Ashley, the owner of Thistlegirl Designs, has also taken legal action, but that must not be easy otherwise her graphics would no longer be there.

Whenever I see someone using specific graphics from thistlegirl designs - the ones that are available in picasa only  - I usually send them a PM because if it were with me I would like to know that I am  using for free what others are paying for. I don �t think that is fair. Besides, the subscription to the site is not expensive and the grapichs are well worth their value.

Wish you all a good evening.
Hugs,

mena

27 Oct 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Hi silvanija! I don �t think we should use images or illustrations from textbooks or pictionaries. Those images are often of excelent quality and appropriate for the topics we teach, so much so that, as you �ve said, almost no work has to be added. Where �s the challenge? And is that fair to other members?

I know that some of you are going to say that the same happens with texts. Well it does, but we cannot be writing our own texts every day. That �s why we use  texts from textbooks sometimes, but the source must always be given and the exercises must in no way be similar to the ones in the textbook.

Hugs,
mena

27 Oct 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Picasa is a software offered for free by Google. Any person can instal it and if they have a Gmail account they can easily store all the pictures from their computer online, in Picasa albuns.

To have an album you are once asked  not to upload copyrighted material or if you want to do so, to keep the album private.

When you see the Picasa albuns is like if you were looking at what people have in their computer, so the quality and the kind of pictures may vary a lot.

When I want to use some pics I found there, I send a comment to the album owner, asking about copyright license and also for permission.

If you want to use a particular pic found there, just comment it and ask the owner to send more info.

27 Oct 2009