Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Prepositions!    

Prepositions!

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Prepositions!

Hi!:) I have some doubts as regards the following sentence...
I was walking ..................... the street�when I came across Williams.
What �s the preposition missing?� on/ in / down ???
Thanks in advance :)

28 Oct 2009      

jennybohmes
Argentina

down

28 Oct 2009     

Marcus W
Australia

down

28 Oct 2009     

Marla D.
United States

down

28 Oct 2009     

niacouto
Portugal

definitely down

28 Oct 2009     

Kisno
Indonesia

surely "down"

28 Oct 2009     

stacksy
Korea, South

Any are ok, though down maybe a little more natural (You could also say �along � the street), by the way I am a native speaker and have asked several friends who are also native speakers

28 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

�down � would be the most natural. You can use this without having to use a street name for it to be understood by most (if not all) native English speakers.

�on the street � would generally imply you were walking on the road - being a hazard to cars etc. If the individual were being asked for explicit detail as to where they were walking then this might be more approprate. It would also make sense if a street name were given: �I was walking on Smith Street � (as distinct from any other street).

�in the street � would make more sense if a street name were given - �I was walking in Smith Street � (as distinct from any other street)

You could use �along � as suggested by stacksy... but I also know it wasn �t one of the options available!

Cheers,
AB

28 Oct 2009     

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Thanks everybody! Sorry I was a bit late to say thanks! but I am really grateful for your answers :)

29 Oct 2009