Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help!    

Help!

Zora
Canada

Hey there Jayho Smile

I am from Alberta, one of the prairie provinces in Canada and where one of the biggest rodeos in the world is held - Calgary.

You are right, there are different types of cowboys/cowgirls... I just wanted to simplify since there are so many disciplines. By the way, all these people below are "rodeo riders".

Tere is:

A barrel racer - a person on a horse races around barrels
A Bronco rider - which has 2 disciplines - bareback riding and saddle riding.
A bull rider

Then there is roping, which has "ropers":

Calf roping
Breakaway roping

And the crazy "Steer wrestling."

Then you have "Chuckwagon racers"

And there are a few more that I have most likely forgotten. Smile

28 Oct 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hi again everyone

Cowboy is the generic name for individuals that perform duties rounding up cows perhaps in other parts of the world but, you maybe surprised to hear, not downunder.  We call them stockmen and jackaroos/jillaroos.  I think cowboy might be typically American and for most students this is probably the most applicable.  In this neck of the woods we teach them the Aussie terms.  The movie Australia is well known and features Hugh Jackman as a stockman (well, a drover actually).  A long running series called McLeods Daughters was the reason for many girls going to Jillaroo school.

I think Rodeo Riders is an all encompassing term Zora - I think it �s a good option.  I �m not sure what the cowboy equivalent is in other parts of the world -would be interesting to know.

I enjoyed my rodeo experience - the horse and cattle events were amazing shows of talents for the many competitors.

Cheers - Jayho

28 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

Me again!

To confuse things a bit more... we also say "cowhands", "cattlemen", "ranch hand", "cowpokes"  - which are the people who look after the cattle and ride horses - in essence they are also cowboys.

Also, we sometimes do use "stockman".

Smile

28 Oct 2009     

< Previous   1    2