Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Sorry to be such a dope but...    

Sorry to be such a dope but...

colibrita
United Kingdom

Sorry to be such a dope but...

I know many teachers prefer B & W worksheets (and I �m happy to provide a B&W version) but I don �t understand why people don �t just select non-colour when they send the document to print? Sorry if I �m being a dope!

29 Oct 2009      

David Lisgo
Japan

Hi Colibrita,

"Non-color" is �grayscale � not B & W and grayscale uses much more ink than B & W. A good black and white worksheet will use outline drawings, that is drawings with all the colour parts coloured white and the outlines black.  I often do this with my worksheets, but it is somewhat tedious and time consuming, though it is appreciated by members who don �t have resources for printing everything in colour or by those on limited budgets. 

David

PS my printer can print ´black only´ but often the outlines are just dark brown, dark blue or something so they don´t printout and you end up with partial pictures.

29 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

The other thing is that greyscale prints in gradations of black (hence �grey/gray �) so often illustrations become indistinct because they are not 2 tone.

Otherwise, everything David said too!

Cheers,
AB

29 Oct 2009     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

just a question.. how do u turn a color ws into b/w?

29 Oct 2009     

moravc
Czech Republic

Yes, true black and white worksheet consists of a tiny borders, outlined pictures (looks like pen drawings), or really small greyscale pictures, no background colour, no big black fonts...
So black and white worksheets REALLY save the ink...
Grey-scale worksheet don �t save much print, as there are grey backgrounds / pictures...

Please remember to upload the colour + black-and-white worksheets in ONE file, if the size limit permits that... No need to upload one colour and another BW version...
Try RESIZING the pictures, before you insert them into a blank document - try Free Photo Converter - http://www.pixelapp.com/Free-Photo-Converter.htm

All contributors can help the "poor teachers" this way:
GROUP your pictures and textboxes,
so all the pictures can be changed by few clicks - changed into BW or grayscale...
When googling for pics, choose BW outlined pics only...
Thanks!

29 Oct 2009     

moravc
Czech Republic

to lizsantiago:

If you need to make a bw worksheet from a colorful ws, you need to remove all background colour, big borders make "slim", change pictures one by one to bw - go to properties - change to BW... Pretty long procedure... :-(

How to make a NEW bw worksheet?
When you are preparing a new worksheet, first make the BW version, group all textboxes, group all pictures and copy the worksheet. SO you have 2 same pages in one file...
Colour the backgrounds of the first bw version, remove bw outlined pictures and insert colourful pics...
There you have a true colour + bw outlined version of the worksheet...
BW version has no background colour, only tiny borders, small bw outlined pictures, but looks similar to the colour version as the content (the text) is the same...

29 Oct 2009     

wolfy
Chile

I add this instruction to my worksheets...

If you are trying to save ink...

Print friendly version: Tools / Options / Print / (Uncheck images) for text only when printing. Remember to change it back after. You can do this for other printables too but beware, text in textboxes will not print either, so do a print preview beforehand.

29 Oct 2009     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Thanks so much everyone, this is turning into a very useful post!

I have to admit my first B/W version was actually greyscale . it looked so dull in B/W. But yes of course it �s tons less ink. I �ll bear that in mind.

How do i group images? I can see there are some real professionals on here! Hope I can learn from the pros! Kinda learning trial and error as I go along at the moment.....

29 Oct 2009     

eng789
Israel

All that ink seeping into our landfills  - can �t be good for us or the environment.

I suggest:

Less ink - coloured or grey tones

2 to a page - maybe we can save some trees.

We are teachers,  we should be more responsible.

29 Oct 2009