Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > A Way With Words    

A Way With Words

Denisa
Romania

Oh, dear, I hear this one very often from my very beginer students:
I ask "What �s this?" and they answer "it �s a frog(for example)" and when my question comes next "what colour is the frog" the answer is almost everytime "It �s a green"!!!

As for the false translations ...oh, boy, we have plenty of those, thank u!
I usually make fun of this way of adapting English to Romanian by simply adding the most common suffix (at least for us, Romanians) "-tion" and saying "furculition, lingurition.." - which in English would sound like something like "forkition, spoonition.."(Romanian "furculita" means "fork" and "lingura" means "spoon")....

31 Oct 2009     

ituska
Slovakia

Once a 4-years old boy brought a drill toy to the classroom.
Other boy shouted - Look, Kajko brought a gun.

To be honest, I didnt know how to call drill then, so I simply explained - This is not a gun, it is not for shooting.

Terezka (4y girl) wanted to help me, so she said - It is not for shooting, it is for vrting :) (in our country drill makes sound - vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :))

31 Oct 2009     

mariannina
Italy

Hi Anita. At school there are some Indian children who speak a very difficult language, so when the Italians complain about English being difficult, I ask one of the Indian students to teach some words or an easy sentence...the Italians give in immediately!
Ciao.

31 Oct 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

HAHA!!!  That �s great.  Thanks guys.  It �s nice to know some people find my posts interesting. My self-esteem was running a  little low. Wink  
Let �s hear from some others.

31 Oct 2009     

miss K.
Ukraine

One of my students long ago was retelling a text about Robin Hood nad he said "It was Robin Hood �s heart sweet" instead of his "sweet heart �. I was checking one kid before he became my student and he read one phrase as "greOO monkeOO" which meant "grey monkey". What he was asked his mother �s name he said his father �s name instead so we had a little bit of fun.

31 Oct 2009     

almaz
United Kingdom

Gosh! Aren�t foreigners funny!

31 Oct 2009     

Mallerenga
Spain

A good laugh indeed!
As I �ve been teaching my students to ask politely for some water or something that they need, they know the structure "Can I have some/a... please? And when they want to go to the toilet, the sentence becomes something like "Can I have a toilet, please?"

31 Oct 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Funny, Mallerenga.  However, it is very logical. Spock would be proud. :) THANKS!

1 Nov 2009     

[email protected]
United States

Can I........?  Politness would be "May I!"

When my students say "Can I go to the bathroom?"  I respond "I don �t know, do you have the ability?  Or do you need to see the nurse?"  They catch on pretty quickly and ask "May I go to the bathroom?"  In which I typically respond, "Use you have my permission to go to the bathroom." 

It is wonderful to see that the kids are overcorrecting at least they are being metacognizant.

Try using an online translator and see what comes up!  That makes me laugh.

3 Nov 2009     

< Previous   1    2