Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Please help me!    

Please help me!

Hanni9
Vietnam

Please help me!

I will teach about past simple with "wish".
Here is an example: I wish I were rich
But i suft on the Internet, sometimes people use "was" instead of "were". Who can help me answer this question whether we can use "was" with "Wish". Thanks in advance.

1 Nov 2009      

cathrine
Spain

Normally we use "was" with singlular eg. I wish I was.....

and "were" with plural eg. We wish we were......

1 Nov 2009     

malgoshka
Poland

we can use either "were" with all persons or "were" with second person and "was" with any other. The difference is that "I wish I were rich" is a bit more formal and correct in written language. "I wish I was rich" is normally used in spoken informal language.

1 Nov 2009     

Hamidou2008
Morocco

To my knowledge, Both are used; yet I wish I were is used in an imaginary past like I wish I were rich years ago, but I was not. 
Now , I can say: I was not rich in the past, but now I know. ( This is real)
Cheers

1 Nov 2009     

almaz
United Kingdom

You �ve stumbled upon - as it were -  one of the rare uses of the subjunctive in English although it �s perfectly acceptable nowadays to use the indicative in such cases.

regards, 

Alex

1 Nov 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Were is the subjunctive for of the verb "to be" for all persons, so if you stick to grammar rules, you should always use were after wish/if.  However, was is acceptable for the first and second person of the singular when speaking or in informal language.

1 Nov 2009