Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > How is the weather ? What is the weather like ?    

How is the weather ? What is the weather like ?

swissprof
Switzerland

How is the weather ? What is the weather like ?

Hi everybody !

Can you tell me if there is a difference between these two expressions

How is the weather  ? What is the weather like ?

How are the shops ? What are the shops like ?

Because I know that for a person there is a difference in the meaning  .

Thanks

4 Nov 2009      

redcamarocruiser
United States

As you know when we say "How is Mary?" we are asking about her health and life, i.e. how she is doing. And when we ask "What is Mary like?" we are asking you to describe her personality and physical characteristics. She is a beautiful, smart outgoing girl.

In the question, "How is the weather [there or today]?" the speaker is inquiring about the weather conditions somewhere and expects a description of weather conditions. Since the weather is inanimate, it cannot feel anything, so we know that that question is not asking about how the weather is feeling or doing. (obviously). Therefore, itis equivalent to the question, "What is the weather like [there, outside, or oday]?" However, "How is the weather?" can also mean "How do you feel about the weather (on your vacation, asking  the  conversation partner to rate the weather ).

"How are the shops?" and "What are the shops like?" are similarily equivalant.
Question Reply Type
How is Mary? She is fine, [busy, recovering]. Describes her state of being, how she is feeling or coping.
What is Mary like? She is pretty, smart, slim. Describes her physical and personality characteristics.
How is the weather? It �s OK. or Rainy, but I don �t mind. The responder can reply with a description or how he feels about the weather.
What is the weather like? It is cloudy. or  It �s not bad. The responder can reply with a description or how he feels about the weather.
How are the shops? Very convenient! I like them! Small, familiar one on one personalized service, not as much selection as a hypermarket, but adequate. The responder can reply with a description or how he feels about the shops.
What are the shops like? Quaint little family-owned, a bit pricey. Quite nice! The responder can reply with a description or how he feels about the shops.

4 Nov 2009     

tash5757
Germany

hi

asking: "how is the weather?" is very slang, i wouldnt use it, teaching english. Use "what is the weather like" etc, much better.

4 Nov 2009     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I disagree with tash5757. It is a usual way to ask someone about the weather conditions, inmy opinion.

4 Nov 2009     

eng789
Israel

How is the weather?   is a perfectly good question.

4 Nov 2009     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Ok, so, Situation 1:

I �m in class, I look out the window, I ask "What �s the weather like?" (I wouldn �t use "how" here)

Situation 2:

I �m chatting to a friend of mine who lives far away in Mexico, "How �s the weather?" ("What �s the weather like would be ok too. But I would ask with "how" if for example the weather has been awful lately, and I �m wondering if it �s got any better. It �s almost as if you were asking how it �s been behaving!! )

Sometimes differences are very subtle, and even natives will differ on why they use one expression or the other. In summary though if you �re in class and want them to describe the weather out the window stick to "What..like"!

HTH!

4 Nov 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I also disagree with Tash and not slang at all.

4 Nov 2009     

Amanda W
Austria

Well, in Britain you wouldn �t say "How is the weather?" Maybe it �s an Americanism. We would say, "What �s the weather like?"

4 Nov 2009     

colibrita
United Kingdom

In fact, "How �s the weather?" or "How �s the weather with you?" are fine, used in the correct context.

I wonder where Alienboy is. he �s usually good at explaining this kind of thing.

4 Nov 2009     

alien boy
Japan

hmmm...

let �s see...

how �s the weather?
    a) What is the weather like right now?
    b) How has the weather been?
    c) How will the weather be in the near future?
The question implies an opinion about the quality of the weather from the respondent.
E.g. a) The weather is great! Lot �s of sunshine and a gentle breeze blowing.
       b) It �s been sunny every day of our visit.
       c) The weather�s been great & the forecast is for sunshine for the rest of our holiday!

What �s the weather like?
    a) What is the weather like right now?
    b) What is the weather like in general?
A general description of the weather in an area. It isn�t necessary to offer an opinion about the weather.
e.g a) It�s sunny with a light breeze; b) it�s usually cold & wet this time of year.

They are generally interchangeable questions in Australian English - so you could also offer an opinion about the quality of the weather too.
Other dialects will have their preferred expression I �m sure!

Hope that doesn�t �cloud the issue� further Wink

How are the shops? - an opinion about quality/feeling/ambiance is requested.
What are the shops like? - detail about what the shops sell, the quality of their merchandise, architectural detail, an opinion about �quality� may also be given.

Cheers,
AB

4 Nov 2009     

swissprof
Switzerland

Thank you everybody ! You are just GREAT ! Thanks a lot

4 Nov 2009