Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > A little tip for the day..    

A little tip for the day..

mjpa
Spain

There is something I still do not understand about this page.
It seems colourful worksheets with lots of clipart, images and so on are always the most popular and downloaded ones whereas I prefer black and white works with less images and things on. And I take for granted most people think like me since it�s much better when printing or photocopying them. It�s simply much "cheaper".
However, I�ve realized "simple" works do not catch the eye of anybody, so me, myself, end up creating worksheets with lots of colours, backgrounds and so on.
So, what�s the aim of this if in the end we have to change them and do as Zora says? That is, changing them, removing colour, cliparts and so on?

4 Nov 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Some teachers remove things from wss, I use them the way they are, my ss like colorful ws, with pics related to the topic. If there isn �t a clear purpose for the pictures I don �t download it because removing them is time-consuming.

When dealing with vocabulary pictures are welcomed if they are related to the topic and there is an activity to go with them.

Have a nice day!

4 Nov 2009     

Zora
Canada

Hi mjpa Smile

I think that it �s the old "flashy item, crow syndrome" - most people tend to go for the colourful and "pretty" looking worksheets first before the "practical looking ones".  They are like "crows who see a shiny object and have to have it." LOL

I have learned that "pretty" doesn �t mean better and tend to download more practical worksheets. But even then, some of my favorite contributors use a lot of clipart and I do need to remove most of it.

4 Nov 2009     

eng789
Israel

1.  Like in Hebrew - Arabic is written from right to left - so ws are often written in the correct -
     left to right but the page hasn �t been set to L-R so editing because a nightmare.
2.  Please make clip art editable also because I usually move it around or delete it.
3.  I agree that fonts should not be less that 11 or 12 - anything else makes it difficult to read.
4.  2 to a page if possible.

We are creating wss for all the different kinds of teachers here.  I know that a lot of teachers print the wss as are with all the pics and color because they are teaching privately and don �t have a large number of pupils. There is no way that I can print 240 colored wss each time I want a level to work on a page.   I love the black and white pages that people have been uploading lately - they save me some work because I only need to shrink the fonts so I can do 2 on a page.

Thanks guys for your great pages.
Hugs from Israel.

4 Nov 2009     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Wow, lots of very useful and interesting tips and observations here. Keep them coming!Thumbs Up

4 Nov 2009     

baiba
Latvia

Mistakes, mistakes, mistakes! That �s what disappoints me most of all when I discover that I have to do error correction before I give the ws to my students.

I have felt embarrassed in the classroom more than once when I did not check the ws before using it (my fault!). There have been crossword puzzles with missing squares and texts with missing lines and spelling mistakes. I have deleted heaps of baby-ish pictures so that my 17-year-old students wouldn �t sneer.

I wish we all devoted more time to checking and re-checking the worksheet before uploading it here.

4 Nov 2009     

colibrita
United Kingdom

The occasional error doesn �t bother me, but when somebody is a serial mistake maker then I usually stop downloading their stuff. If there are already a number of mistakes in the w/s description then that �s a bad sign and i don �t waste my time checking  it out.

4 Nov 2009     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Perhaps it would be handy if ESPr. had an "image-free" filter on the search boxes....

4 Nov 2009     

< Previous   1    2