Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > MEANING OF A PHRASE    

MEANING OF A PHRASE

jessica farias
Argentina

MEANING OF A PHRASE

I HAVE DOWNLOADED ONE WORKSHEET ABOUT PHRASAL VERBS WITH SET AND PUT BUT THERE IS AN EXPRESSION WHICH SAYS  "PUT ONE �S TEETH ON EDGE" AND I DON �T KNOW WHAT IT MEANS.  IF ANYBODY KNOWS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!
JESSICA

5 Nov 2009      

loyrob
Korea, South

Hi Jessica,

I was curious as well after reading your post. I looked it up on Google and found the following:

set or put one �s teeth on edge,
a.to induce an unpleasant sensation.
b.to repel; irritate: The noise of the machines sets my teeth on edge.

I hope that helps you,

Joe

5 Nov 2009     

jessica farias
Argentina

HI JOE,

THANKS FOR SPENDING YOUR TIME LOOKING IT UP ON GOOGLE.   YOU HAVE BEEN OF GREAT HELP!!! NOW I HAVE AN IDEA WHAT TO SAY TO MY CLASS. I ALWAYS LIKE TO CHECK THINGS FIRST BEFORE GIVING THEM THE TASKS. 
THANKS A LOT!!!

JESSICA

5 Nov 2009     

dennismychina
China

Hi

A noise which really puts my teeth on edge is when one scrapes a fingernail on the blackboard or a pain of glass. Just thinking about it gives me the grils. (shivers)

Enjoy.

5 Nov 2009     

jessica farias
Argentina

THANKS YOU, DENNISMYCHINA!!!! YOUR COMMENT HAS ALSO BEEN VERY USEFUL WITH THIS EXPRESSION.

THANKS AGAIN. HAVE A NICE DAY!!!

JESSICA

5 Nov 2009