Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A question to my British friends    

A question to my British friends

mariannina
Italy

A question to my British friends

Hello! Do you still celebrate Bonfire night in Britain? Is it always like it was years and years ago? Do children ask "A penny for the guy"?
Thank you and ciao

5 Nov 2009      

aftab57
United Kingdom

Yes mariannina,
It �s raining oustsied so I �ve chickened out of going to my local park where they are letting off all kind of fireworks. It shall continue throughout the night. Asking for "a penny for the guy" seems to have lapsed a bit not many kids venture out -it gets dark and parents are worried about the kids safety.

5 Nov 2009     

mariannina
Italy

Hi Aftab, do you make a bonfire and roast chestnuts? When I retire I �ll come to take part to the celebrations.
Thank you and ciao

5 Nov 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

The bonfire are very rare now due to safety issues .

6 Nov 2009     

alina2
Pakistan

safety is an issue for every single thing in todays world.

6 Nov 2009     

inglesaenmadrid
Spain

Almost every town/village organises a bonfire which might be on 5th November or the nearest weekend, together with fireworks. I �m going home to the UK tonight and there �s a big event at the local rugby club tomorrow night which lots of families will be attending. As for �penny for the guy � - guess it �d be more like �pound for the guy � with the exchange rate... :) 

6 Nov 2009