Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Comparatives and Superlatives    

Comparatives and Superlatives

ARaquelSP
Portugal

Comparatives and Superlatives

Hi, dear colleagues.

I �ve just come across something I had never really thought before. Do we say "more simple" or "simpler"? "More quiet � or "quieter"? They have both 2 syllabes but the rule is that we only say "_er" if a 2-syllabe verb ending in "_y"? We do not say "boringer", but at the same time "quieter" doesn �t sound that bad... I get too confused when I think too much of the rules... Confused

Thanks for your help!

6 Nov 2009      

yolprica
Spain

In the cases you mention both are correct. They are exceptions to the general rule, there are some other adjectives which can be said both ways.
Hope it helps
Yolanda

6 Nov 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Don �t be surprised...here is a list of 2-syllable words which have both forms:
simple - simpler OR more simple - the simpliest OR MOST SIMPLE
clever - cleverer OR more clever - the cleverest OR most clever
common,
cruel,
gentle,
likely,
narrow,
pleasant,
polite.

6 Nov 2009     

ARaquelSP
Portugal

Thank you very much!! Thumbs Up

6 Nov 2009     

clevy3
Jamaica

Hi,

If you really want to be certain use a dictionary that shows the comparative form beside the word. I would have to disagree with Kate as the dictionary has for eg. cleverer and cleverest and the same for simplest - We allow the more and most in speech but examiners may mark it wrong in a formal exam.

Carol

6 Nov 2009     

alien boy
Japan

G �day!

Unlike Carol, I don �t disagree with Kate. What I would say is this... cleverer & cleverest are more formal than more clever & most clever. So, if you are teaching your students for formal exam preparation then they should be made aware of the distinction. If you are teaching conversational English maybe you should start with whatever the easiest to pronounce would be. As a personal preference I use �more clever � because it �rolls off my tongue � more easily than �cleverer �.

According to Swann the �more � & �most � superlative & comparative for many 2 syllable adjectives are becoming more common in usage.

Regards,
AB

7 Nov 2009     

Pinky Makus
Canada

Can I jump in with a question?  Does anyone know some good flashcards and worksheets for this topic?  If I search here...do I just use the adjective section or is there another section I have missed.

Pinky

7 Nov 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Hi Pinky!

just use the shortcut in the right hand grammar column - �Comparison � - & you �ll get a lot!

Cheers,
AB

7 Nov 2009     

Pinky Makus
Canada

Oops.  I did miss that.  Thank you!

7 Nov 2009