Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > The difference between would and used to     

The difference between would and used to

KHAWLA ALZIOD
Jordan

The difference between would and used to

I faced a problem that my student did not understand the difference between would and used to .I studied a lot ,but I dont know why it was so confusing for them . 

8 Nov 2009      

anitarobi
Croatia

Would is a bit tricky, because you use it in conditionals for future reference: e. g. If I earn enough money, I would like to travel around the world; but you also use it in the future-in-the-past when reporting speech in the past:
e. g. Peter said: �I will be there tomorrow. �
reported as: Peter said that he would be there the next day.

You can also sometimes use it for a past action, e. g. When I was little, I would sometimes sneak into my grandpa �s attic and read old comics.
In this respect, it is sort of similar to used to which is regularly used for habitual past actions (which you don �t do any more), e.g. I used to travel a lot, but now that I am building a house, I don �t travel as much any more. This usage can sometimes be confusing for students, though I never had problems with used to - once they figured it out, they practically preferred it to any other form for past habits.
Perhaps this helps a bit, and perhaps somebody else will have a concrete example from class. It also depends on how old your sts are - sometimes, if they don �t have a clear grasp of tenses in their mother tongue, it is very difficult for English tenses to settle down in their repertoire.

8 Nov 2009     

Sara26
Brazil

Hi,

Would is a modal verb used to say what might happen if something else happens. Ex: �What would you do if you lost your job? �

Used to is also a modal verb: if something used to happen or a situation used to exist , it happened or existed in the past but it does not happen or exist now. Ex: "I used to go out every night when I was a student."

Hope it helps.
Hugs

8 Nov 2009     

arkel
Ireland

I think you mean �would � and �used to � with reference to the past. You can always use �used to � when referring to a past habitual action or state, but you can only use �would � for a habitual action, never a state or something more permanent.

Ex: I used to live in Madrid. Here, because it �s permanent we can never use  �would �.
      I used to be single, but I got married last year. Here it �s a state and so can �t be    expressed with �would �.
      I used to go to the cinema one a week with my friends. Here, as it �s a repeated action we can substitute �used to � with �would �. I would go to the cinema with my friends.

Hope this helps. Hug Rosemary

8 Nov 2009     

elderberrywine
Germany

exactly, arkel. "would" implies habit - used to implies a state 

8 Nov 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

Hi Khawla.Hi everyone!I �m back again,

When talking about past habits and repeated actions in the past,both used to and would can be used to mean the same thing;but unlike �used to �, �would � can �t be used before state verbs:

When I was younger,I used to like coffee .When I was younger,I would like coffee.

Hope it �s clear
Cheers

8 Nov 2009     

arkel
Ireland

Hi Harim, you �re right in theory, but �like � is a state verb and �would could not be used in this example.

8 Nov 2009