Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Translation    

Translation

Animagus
Portugal

Translation

Good evening great teachers!

A few months ago I �ve asked you for help to translate a text about olive oil and its production procedures.

Well, to make sure I �ve done a reasonable work, could you please take a look to this translation and make some comments about it?

Olive oil produced from Verdial Transmontana, Cordovil, Cobran�osa and Santulhana variety of olives. These olive trees can be as far as one thousand years and they are cultivated between 400 to 700 meters above the sea, producing a rare quality olive oil. Its taste is described as being balanced, with a fruit flavour, specially almond and a spicy and green touch at the end.

Thank you in advance.

Wink

8 Nov 2009      

i_love_english
France

This olive oil is produced from Verdial, Transmontana, Cordovil, Cobran�osa and Santulhana olive varieties. The Olive trees can be as old as one thousand-year-old and they are cultivated between 400 and 700 meters above the sea level, producing a rare quality olive oil. Its taste is described as being balanced, with a fruity flavour, especially almonds,  and a spicy and green (?) touch at the end.

I don �t know if it �s much better.... Let �s wait for native speakers!

Good luck

8 Nov 2009     

Ratu
Argentina

This olive oil is produced from Verdial, Transmontana, Cordovil, Cobran�osa and Santulhana olive varieties. The Olive trees can be as old as one thousand-year-old and they are cultivated between 400 and 700 meters above the sea level, producing a rare quality olive oil. Its taste is described as being balanced, with a fruity flavour, especially almonds,  and a spicy and green (?) touch at the end.

I think you should ommit the "The" in "the olive trees". If you want to talk about olive trees in general, you should say either "the olive tree" or "olive trees" (or that �s what I think)

Then, in this sentence "
producing a rare quality olive oil." what do you mean? maybe you should drop the "a" there, cause olive oil is uncountable. what do you mean by "rare quality"?

Hope it helps!
Kisses!
Ale.

9 Nov 2009     

Animagus
Portugal

Hi!
With "rare quality" I mean to say exceptional and exclusive taste from that area.
"Green" touch is like a fresh taste.

Thank you I love enlish and Ale.

9 Nov 2009     

debbie6
Canada

hi here is my version:

Verdial, Transmontana, Cordovil, Cobrancosa and Santulhana olive trees all produce an exceptional olive oil.  These olive trees can produce even when they are  thousands of years old.  They are cultivated at heights between 400 and 700 meters above sea level.  Its taste is described as balanced, with a fruity flavour and a hint of spice and almond.  Truly a rare quality of olive oil.

Sounds so good I wouln �t mind enjoying this experience with some feta a french bread!

9 Nov 2009     

debbie6
Canada

Let me repeat myself...lol... sounds so good I wouldn �t mind enjoying this experience with some feta and french bread...sorry about the spelling

9 Nov 2009     

PhilipR
Thailand

The olive oil is produced from Verdial Transmontana, Cordovil, Cobran�osa and Santulhana variety of olives. These olive trees can be as old as one thousand years and they are cultivated between 400 to 700 meters above sea level, producing a rare quality olive oil. Its taste is described as being balanced, with a fruity flavour, especially almond, and a spicy and fresh aftertaste.

9 Nov 2009     

debbie6
Canada

Let me repeat myself...lol... sounds so good I wouldn �t mind enjoying this experience with some feta and french bread...sorry about the spelling

9 Nov 2009     

dennismychina
China

I think Philip has just about got it. I�d like to suggest.

The/This olive oil is produced from the Verdial Transmontana, Cordovil, Cobran�osa and Santulhana varieties of olives. These olive trees can be as old as one thousand years and they are cultivated at between 400 to 700 meters above sea level, producing a rare quality olive oil. Its taste is described as being balanced, with a fruity flavour, notably almond, and a spicy,(no and) fresh aftertaste.

Enjoy.

9 Nov 2009     

Zora
Canada

Olive oil that is produced from the olives of the Verdial Transmontana, Cordovil, Cobran�osa and Santulhana trees, trees which can reach one thousand years of age, are cultivated between 400 to 700 meters above sea level. These tree produce a rare quality olive oil, whose taste is described as being balanced, with a fruity, almond-like flavour that has no aftertaste.

That is how I would translate it. It sounds less forced and more business like and natural.

9 Nov 2009