Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Irregular verbs... doubt    

Irregular verbs... doubt

Samantha.esl
Italy

Irregular verbs... doubt

Hi,

A student asked me why the verb show in past simple is showed and in past participle is shown.

I didn �t know what to say. Could you help me please?
The student asked me: �Why do I have to apply the rule for regular verbs in the past simple (+ed) but when it comes to past participle the verbs changes to be an irregular verb?..

I �d be grateful if you help me as I was quite puzzled and I promised her I was going to look for an answer.

Sam

10 Nov 2009      

Zora
Canada

To me show is an irregular verb - not a regular verb and that �s why it �s on many irregular verb lists.

I am afraid getting into semantics and whys here is too complicated... and I would just explain that "show" is an irregular verb because it doesn �t follow the regular verb pattern in it �s past and past participle forms.

10 Nov 2009     

natalli
Belarus

The fact that the irregular (!) verb "to show" has the same form of the Past Simple as other regular verbs is just a coincidance. It doesn �t mean that this verb jumps from the list of regular verbs to that of irregular ones. It �s simply a case. Other Irregular Verbs Following a Similar Pattern: Base Form Past Simple Past Participle Mow Mowed Mown Saw Sawed Sawn/Sawed Sew Sewed Sewn/Sewed Sow Sowed Sown

10 Nov 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Thank you for the help. I said the same thing, that it isn �t a regular verb that �s why it �s in the irregular verbs list... but the student replied:
´BUT last year when we worked on �past simple � the teacher said that the verb show is regular and so we add ED..

So I thought I needed to have an explanation otherwise the student might think ... this year, the teacher (me..) says the verb is irregular. :S

10 Nov 2009     

Zora
Canada

Well, you could always just say that it �s past form is like a regular verb and that �s why his other teacher taught them it. Though it is, in essence, an irregular verb because of the participle.

10 Nov 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Thank you very much for your help!

10 Nov 2009     

manuelanunes3
Portugal

Hi

It is an irregular verb, but there are cases like "learn" that can be considered both regular or irregular (learn/learned/learned or learn /learnt/ learnt).
The same happens with some adjectives and their comparative and superlative forms like simple / simpler than / the simplest  or simple / more simple than/ the most simple.

Have a great week

10 Nov 2009     

mjpa
Spain

You would have to go back to Old English to know what the past participle is done in such a way.

10 Nov 2009