Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > How do you do?...Does it equal to "nice to meet you."    

How do you do?...Does it equal to "nice to meet you."

spring
Turkey

How do you do?...Does it equal to "nice to meet you."

Hello everybody,
Yesterday with my 4th grades(they are beginners) we learned greetings.Introducing one self,how to start speech e.t.c
One of my student asked me whether we can say "how do you do?" instead of " Nice to meet you"
I said yes but explained that this is an old-fashioned idiom that is not commanly used in todays� world.
As far as I know this idiom is used for showing politeness esp. with someone you have just been introduced to for the first time.And added that though it is a question there is no expectancy of a reply.
Question:Can this idiom be interprated  as "How are you doing?"?
According to me:NO 
�cos after the utterance "How are you doing?"the speaker waits for an answer.There is a tendency to reply back.
But after "How do you do?" we just give the hidden message - we are glad from this introduction.- which equals to "nice to meet you"(in my opinion of course)
I may be wrong.I am not a native.I really wonder your ideas.

If your answer is yes;Another question to you:
Some words,idioms have different usages,interpretations.
Yet,some interpretations is so dominant that majority of the people recalls that comman interpretation,other meanings of that idiom stay behind.So can it be as I told.I mean "How do you do?=Nice to meet you" .This is the basic interpretation and "How do you do?=How are you doing?" is the less well-known meaning.
I am asking this question cos somebody insisted that it means "how are you?" and I haven�t heard this interpretation before.I still believe that mine is true:)))
.But I am opening my door to your ideas admitting that I may be wrong:))))
Thanks and regards

19 Sep 2008      

primaryteacher
Malta

for me �how do you do?� means �how are you?�

19 Sep 2008     

spring
Turkey

Also I believe that interpretation should be done in a way that meet the same meaning or intended meaning in other lang. and this may cause to use different words,idioms though that word may have the exact equivalents..
e.g "It is raining cats and dogs"
cat= kedi
dog = k�pek in Turkish
but we say " bardaktan bosanircasina yagmur yagmak":)))
So in this case I think we meant to say "nice to meet you"
Sorry I wrote too much and occupy the forumCry

19 Sep 2008     

frenchfrog
France

From the Oxford Advanced Learner�s Dictionary:

How do you do (becoming old-fashioned) used as a formal GREETING when you meet sb for the first time. The usual reply is also How do you do?

Frenchfrog

19 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

I think "nice to meet you" , "glad to meet you"  are commonly said at the very moment sb is introduced to you. Then they may or may not be followed by "how are you?" , "how do you do?" , "how are doing?" ...

Example:

Rachid: Ahmed this is John.
Ahmed: Hi, nice/glad/happy...to meet you. (how do you do?)
We use the later without the former when we meet some one we know after amoment of absence.

Example:

Rachid: Hi, Ahmed how are you?/How do you do?/How are you going.
Ahmed: Fine thanks and you?

The rest is a question of formal or informal language and not, according to me, a question of old or new fashioned.

This is another definition from Oxford Talking Dictionary maybe it can help.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
how do?
colloq. how do you do; hello.

how do you do?, (arch. & dial.) how do ye? or how d�ye?: a formal greeting enquiring as to a person�s health etc.
how-do-you-do, how-d�ye-do
( a ) an enquiry of �how do you do?�;
( b ) an awkward or embarrassing situation.

how goes it, how is it going, how are things going?: see GO v.

19 Sep 2008     

Zora
Canada

"Nice to meet you" is a formal way of greeting someone. Usually used in business situation and expects no reply when used. Also, one would could use, "How do you do?" though it usually implies a short reply such as "I�m well, thank you..." or "Fine, thanks..."

The rest of the examples -  i.e. Happy/glad to meet you, how are you? ... are more informal - like say when you are meeting a new neighbour or an older relative for the first time ...

"How�s it going?" How are you doing? are questions used more often among friends or family.

19 Sep 2008     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I am  Canadian and here in Canada we sometimes use �how do you do�.  However, we only use it when we are
introduced to a person for the first time.  More in business than everyday life. The next time we meet the same person we say �how are you�, or how are you doing.  I agree with you that �how are you doing� requires an answer.

Hope this helps, this is how we use it in North America.

19 Sep 2008     

spring
Turkey

Good morning everybody
It is very early in here.
I was waiting for further replies to turn back to this discussion but I think these are all.I got my answer and so it is time to thank:)))
Thanks for your concerns.

20 Sep 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Don�t forget the ever famous "How you doin?" from Joey off Friends...Wink

23 Sep 2008