Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > What is correct to say?    

What is correct to say?

Urpi
Peru

What is correct to say?

Hi guys: Yesterday I was teaching plural forms and then I explained about the words which are always plural like glasses. And my Ss were counting the items we had in the classroom.so there were many pair of glasses That �s the question is it correct to say "two pairS of glasses" or "Two pair of glasses?"
Another Question Can anyone suggest a page for mind maps to teach grammar?

Thank you for helping me.Wink

12 Nov 2009      

PhilipR
Thailand

Two pairs of glasses, for sure.

12 Nov 2009     

[email protected]
United States

I can �t direct you to any websites, but it is two pairs of glasses.  When you use a collective it is the collective noun that gets pluralized in this case since the second word is already a plural.   Examples:  "I saw three flocks of geese in the forest." ; "The shepards were tending their flocks (of sheep).";  "There were three pairs (of jeans) on the shelf."; "I picked four bushels of apples." 

General rule...if you can say it or write without the "of ..." with the collective being plural then that is the proper way.  Another example:  Question: "How many would you like?"  Answer:  "Two cups, please" (of tea).

Unless it �s confusing or taken the wrong way..."I saw a murder this morning." v "I saw a murder of crows this morning." 

Hope this helps!

12 Nov 2009     

chrissyden
United Kingdom

No, Its one pair of glasses. Anything which is a "whole thing" but the main thing consists of a pair of something (e.g trouser legs - trousers, glass - glasses) is still a singular item, so its never 2 pairs. If there were 2 pairs of glasses, there would be 2 sets of glasses, not one item.

C

15 Nov 2009