Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > RE: If-clauses lesson advice    

RE: If-clauses lesson advice

11Alex11
Germany

RE: If-clauses lesson advice

Hey,

I need your advice. I �m going to revise the different if-clauses (type 0 till type 3) with my students (level is upper-intermediate to advanced).

At first, I �m going to give them a little listening exercise so that they start using the different if-clauses without knowing it. Then, I thought about showing them a little power point presentation about if-clauses where they have to fill in the verbs in the right tense in the different conditionals + they have to explain why this conditional ist used.

Then I thought about giving them different exercises. My tutor (I �m on a training course) has told me that I should get some movement into the classroom (e.g. the students shall move around). So do you know a few short! (approx. 5 minutes) exercises that involve movement and in which the students can practice if-clauses?

Many thanks for your help.

13 Nov 2009      

Dyana13
Romania

i don �t know anything that involves movement, but i sometimes do an exercise called � � if i won the lotery... " have you played it?
 every student has to complete the phrase said before
eg. if i won the lotery, i would buy a house. if i had a house, i would ...
you can use it for the other conditionals too. my students enjoy it, because it �s amusing. you could put them to move around the class and choose different students to continue the sentence.Wink
i hope it �s useful to you. tell me what you think of it and how the class went if you decide to use it

13 Nov 2009     

maoopa
China

You can combine Dyana �s idea with a survey. Students could circulate aroud the classroom and find something like the most similar answer, or the oddest answer.

Remember to ask them "why" they choose a certain answer and not another one.

I hope that helps.

Mauro

13 Nov 2009     

11Alex11
Germany

Thanks for your answers Smile.

If anyone has further suggestions, he/she is welcomed to tell me about them ;-).

13 Nov 2009