Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Advice on how to improve students ´ listening skills    

Advice on how to improve students ´ listening skills

juliag
Japan

Advice on how to improve students ´ listening skills

Hi everyone,

First I ´d just like to say thank you to all of you for all your hard work all the time. I feel so lucky to have found such a wonderful esl site and community.

Next I ´d like to ask if anyone has any suggestions of teaching methods or can recommend any specific textbooks or other materials on improving the listening skills of intermediate and above students. What I ´m especially interested in is how to train students ´ ears so they can pick out individual words even when they are said so fast that they kind of slur together.

Does anyone have any suggestions? If you do I would really appreciate your help.
Thank you and have a great day/evening.
Juliag

16 Nov 2009      

Victoria-Ladybug
Israel

Hi juliag! 

Don´t miss thissite!

ELLLO is a collection of over 800 audio activities that ESL, EFL,

and English students and teachers can access freely via the net.

It is my favorite!   http://www.elllo.org/ 
Enjoy exploring.....

Listening Games / Listening Games are designed to help students listen for gist. Students listen and choose the picture that matches the audio.

Mixer / Mixer is a listening activity that features six speakers

Talking Points / Talking Points are activities that help students with test taking skills and academic English.

Situations/ Situations
These English listening activities are a series of audio activities that present situational English language between two characters.

News Center /News Center is an animated newscast with six stories. Newscenter can help students learn academic English and develop test taking skills for standardized listening tests such as TOEFL®, TOEIC® and IELTS.

You can also follow this link and find more useful tips/

greetings,Victoria

16 Nov 2009     

mariana_x
Czech Republic

I started using a new method in my classes. I buy or copy books by McMillan readers (where you can read and listen and the same time) and I send this copy + the audio file to my students and give them one week. Then they have to retell the story in their own words. This helps a lot in many ways:
1) They learn new words
2) They can listen as many times as they want without letting someone else wait
3) Can learn how to retell stories

Hope you find it useful - if you don´t know what McMillan readers are - drop me a line

16 Nov 2009     

juliag
Japan

Hi again,

Thank you both for your super-helpful answers. I can ´t wait to check ELLLO and the MacMillan Readers out. If I find any other good resources I ´ll be sure to let you know. Thanks again.
Julia

16 Nov 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

16 Nov 2009     

puddyd
Oman

Hi Julia,
Listening is one of the most difficult skills for ESL ss to aquire as it is something they are unable to learn. They can only improve it through practice.
I don ´t know what age or level your ss are, but this is what I do:

If they are younger , you can do this in class and if they are adults they can do it at home.
-First you explain to them that the object of the exercise is ´listening to listen ´ and not understanding what they hear.
-they will need a small log book to keep track of their progress
-start your ss as a warmer in class or have the adults do it at home using English television and in class, a tape script and you time it, starting with two minutes for the week and building it up gradually, eg: next week three mins, next week 4 mins, to a maximum of ten minutes , as it ´s not possible for ss to concentrate longer that 10 minutes at a time. During this two minute period they are to write down the words they hear, and then to count them everyday and log them up.
They ´ll [and you ´ll]be amazed at their own improvement over time.

You can also do running dictations, where the students have to change places with each piece of text that is read. The first is the scribe, second and third the runners, when nr.1 has finished writing the first piece they then change over.The first runner must now do the writing and the listening, while the other two run to get the info stuck on the wall.They have to remember the info and they should also spell it correctly , which means there is alot of running and authentic listening. To make it even more difficult , you could have some music playing the background too.

You could also give a small group a text  , numbered and cut up, like a jigsaw, and each ss must dictate their piece to the group and they must write it down. Again you could put on some music and play with the volume, making it louder and softter to really make them listen.
Good luck
Rgds
Andrea ;o)

16 Nov 2009