Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > What do you guys think: Allowing more downloads?     

What do you guys think: Allowing more downloads?

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

What do you guys think: Allowing more downloads?

It seems to me that the points system was a great way to build up a range of worksheets when the website started, but now I feel it is actually working against the website rather than for it. I am not suggesting we do away with it entirely, just to have it be a badge of honor as oppose to a currency, have something like (-5) available for people who have downloaded more than they have uploaded. 
- The current system relies on self interest and competition, it promotes the idea that that is what this website is about. This doesn �t encourage: altruism, honesty, community (although these things have emerged anyway, because they are fundamental traits of humanity.) 
- It encourages dishonesty: A teacher who needs a work sheet for their class but doesn �t have any points to get it is driven to copying someone else work and uploading it in order to get points.
- There is a huge amount of resources available on this site; why not allow students around the world to benefit from them, regardless of the creativity of their teacher. 
- It encourages people to upload worksheets of poor quality, simply in the hopes of getting points. I put it to you that the amount of bandwidth taken up with the extra downloads would be almost cancelled out by fewer poor-quality uploads.

If you take the open source community as a model you will see how it has grown to be one of the most powerful forces in modern technology through nothing but the will of each individual to help other people.
If someone benefits from a worksheet on this website, they will feel grateful and want to contribute themselves and help others in the same way. 
However I am not suggesting that we upload worksheets under a Creative Commons licence (although having this option would be nice) 

I would like to know what everyone thinks about this, please also add whether or not you would continue uploading if it was unrelated to your ability to download. 

17 Nov 2009      

Helen McK
Ireland

I like the system as it is because it is fair, straightforward, it rewards hard work and it is unattractive to lazy people.

Helen

17 Nov 2009     

Missfrancisca
Spain

I also like the system like it is and I would even set some more rules for those stealing workingsheets and the like. I think it is an amazing website for ESL teachers.

17 Nov 2009     

yolprica
Spain

I completely agree with Helen and Miss Francisca, the site should continue as it is. It �d be perfect if people were honest.

Yolanda

17 Nov 2009     

PhilipR
Thailand

I think it �s also about give and take. Allowing anyone unlimited downloads wouldn �t stimulate anyone to start making quality worksheets.
Some authors have their own website where they offer their wss for free (a selection of mine is available on www.scribd.com).
BTW, are you badly in need of points? ;-)

17 Nov 2009     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

There is loads of sites you can download free material. You can take there what you want and don �t have to give anything. 
As written above, this site is about sharing, which is fair. Why should this be another site where people can take without giving? I think most of the people here agrees with the system here - if you want to take, you have to also give something.

17 Nov 2009     

carlaaguiarsilva
Portugal

The most attractive thing about this site is to share, in my opinion. I trully like to put all my effort in doing a good ws and I �ve been improving since I started. There are lots of free material in other sites, but this one is unique!

17 Nov 2009     

libertybelle
United States

We had a problem a while back with too many uploads and the server being overloaded. Victor had to buy a new server.
No one needs to upload that many ws at one time.
It �s ok to space them out over a few days, like, what �s the hurry?

We all voted for 3 a day in a democratic vote.
I still think 3 a day is fine.

17 Nov 2009     

Jayho
Australia

There are already lots of sites around that offer what you propose.

IMHO this site is perfect the way it is.  It suits those of us that are willing to share and in return we can receive a lot more than we �ll ever give, and not just by way of printables. Like Carla says, this site is unique.

Cheers - Jayho

17 Nov 2009     

silvia.patti
Italy

How can we judge if a worksheet is poor in quality? It �s really hard to decide if it is stolen, scanned, copied... No, it �s impossible! Everyone must do the better he/she can and we mustn �t judge the quality of a worksheet. Bye

17 Nov 2009     

fletsch
Canada

I think that 3 worksheets a day is MORE than enough and I think Helen McK �s comment said it perfectly...

17 Nov 2009     

1    2    Next >