Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help me !!    

Help me !!

GigiGraziano
Argentina

Help me !!

HELLO DEARS TEACHERS.. I HAVE A DOUBT IS THIS SENTECE CORRECT?

Work without being paid any money.

THANKS A LOT..

Sorry... Iwas in a hurry.. slip of the brain

18 Nov 2009      

apayala
Spain

Maybe it�s better if you write "to" before "work": to work without being payed any money. For the rest I think is perfect. Why doesn�t it sound good to you? What�s the doubt?

18 Nov 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

I have a question related to your question.... in your sentence you use the word "payed" and I know that this can be used (thank you google)... but as a native speaker I have never used this version preferring "paid" and I get students to use this version...  I also have never really seen it used but in the last couple of weeks have seen it a couple of times and then here again today...
Can a grammar guru give a good explanation to use which one and when.... and if I should have been accepting "payed" in writing I have been marking... hmmmmmmm
Sorry for the slight thread hijack... hopefully we can both get our answers here!
:-)

Brain is perplexed.

18 Nov 2009     

mariaelaine
Malta

I also prefer paid rather than payed as there is a vowel before the y.  For example say-said
However both are acceptable.  Pay without money is called volonatary work : )

18 Nov 2009     

mr.dgdln
Turkey

pay is an irregular verb. so if you change pay into paid -its past form- the sentence will be ok with an imperative meaning.

18 Nov 2009     

Zora
Canada

Hi cheezels,

The "payed" in question is not the past tense of "pay" as in owe money. It is the past of "to let out a cable or line... to slacken" as my dictionary here says.

18 Nov 2009     

[email protected]
United States

Work without being paid any money.

"Payed"  - NEVER with money or things of value!
"Paid" - ALWAYS with money or thing of value!

"Payed" is a past tense of pay but as Zora states, "to let out a cable or line." and that is it.

The line payed out because it was too short.  Use payed with out

All it is missing is a subject in the original sentence.  Who works with being paid any money?

We work without being paid any money.

It reminds me of my Spanish-speaking student who always says "No sabo" instead of "No s�"

19 Nov 2009