Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > HELP ME PLEASE !!!    

HELP ME PLEASE !!!

bunny_vega2007
Vietnam

HELP ME PLEASE !!!

Smile
I�m using the book of New Cutting Edge Intermediate. There are some long readings in this book. I�ve divided the reading into short paragraphs so that the students can read and report to their friends in their group. However, in one of my classes this activity doesn�t go well. Could you please suggest some other methods to make the reading activity more interesting espcially when the students have to read long readings? Thanks a lot.

9 Nov 2008      

donapeter
Romania

Try to ask them to find specific information on the text given. They will have to read the text in order to find the information.
When I have readings I ask each student to read, at least a sentence. If i believe that the text is too difficult I ask them to read the sentence and translate it. All the students should take part at the reading activity. After the reading I prepare activities based on what we have just read.
I hope it helps. Anyway I think that the methods depend on the type of class, students, lessons etc.
A nice day!

9 Nov 2008     

class centre
Belarus

Hi, bunny vega!
To make them read you have to make them WANT to read the passage. I use a magnificent system called SCHOOL OF TOMORROW. My students read tens of pages during the lesson... But in an ordinary situation you can print a text, cut it in parts and give them the task of making it up again. If you do it in groups, or time it , they will try harder and be more interested in reading. Reading for just reading is boring for students. You should think of how to make it interesting or desired.
Good luck!

9 Nov 2008     

mena22
Portugal

Good morning Bunny. Good morning to you all! I completely agree that you must give your students a purpose to read any kind of text - long or short, simple or complex. Why don�t you try some pre-reading activities like the ones above? For example, you could try this (It works for me) select some keywords fromk the text and write them on the board. Give the students 2 or 3 minutes to speculate in pairs what the text is going to be about. Ask some of them to share their ideas with the class. Who�s right, who�s wrong? You don�t know, so the only way to find out is by reading the text. You can do the same using with images instead. Or the title.... After reading the text, we go back to the speculations and students identify which aspects they guesses right and/or wrong. Hope I got you inspired to create your own strategies. Have a nice Sunday! :)))

9 Nov 2008     

mena22
Portugal

Ooooops! "using images instead"!  "they guessed right o9r wrong" Sorry!

9 Nov 2008     

alex1968
Greece

Hi Bunny Vega

What I do with very long texts is a jigsaw reading. 

I prepare questions on the whole text for all the Ss. 

Then I divide the text into 3 or 4 parts (depending on the size) and divide Ss into groups of 3 or 4 Ss per group so that each S has a different segment of the reading.  

Each S reads his/her piece and then answers the questions relating ONLY to that segment.

When everyone�s done reading, they exchange info with the other members of their group in order to answer the remaining questions.

Thus you incorporate all four skills in one lesson, and you get the passage done! Thumbs Up

Hope u like this idea, it usually works for me.

Good Luck!!!

Enjoy your Sunday,
Alex

9 Nov 2008     

alex1968
Greece

By the way,  I taught Cutting Edge Int a few years back and have a number of ws on this book...I�m not sure if the new version is the same as the old, but I�d be willing to send u the ws I�ve prepared.  They might prove useful with some adjustments on your part.

U can email me at [email protected] Smile

Regards,
Alex

9 Nov 2008