Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Preventing discipline problems    

Preventing discipline problems

agatawet
Poland

Preventing discipline problems

Hello everyone Wink I �m a student of English from Poland.I �m writing the Bacherol �s thesis titled �Preventing discipline problems among teenagers" .I need general information about discipline in schools and characteristics of teenagers.I would be ever so grateful If someody could send me links or useful materials related to this subject. my e-mail is :[email protected]

With regards,

AgaBig smile

19 Nov 2009      

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

The most effective language class will be a small one, so that every student gets a chance to speak. In a small class no one should have disipline problems.
I �ve been teaching teenager 2 years and never had a disipline problem. My teacher trainer was teaching 15 years and never had a problem either.

I guess it �s different in Language Schools where the students are there by choice.

If i need my students to stop talking for a moment I usually do something to shock them, for example stand up on a chair or start singing. I can see how this might not work in a state school. (That is, of course, if asking them politely doesn �t work)

19 Nov 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Have a look through the forum history (search box is at the bottom of the home page) & you�ll find a lot of interesting posts.

here �s one example (which also has a few good links from a former member):
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=12647

As distinct from RabbitWho�s opinion, I believe that class size is actually not very important (& I�ve taught in small private classes, in government schools & am currently in an exclusive private school) . What is important is to present clear boundaries and consequences. I find that with mid-late teens it�s also helpful to include them in setting the boundaries & consequences for student & teacher responsibilities. The next thing is to make sure that any reinforcement of the �agreement� is done in a fair & equitable manner. It�s no good making exceptions to the rules, even for the teacher. On the other hand it is also important to make sure the rules are flexible & not too nit-picky...

Yes, if you have self motivated students then there are usually less problems. Unfortunately the majority of teenage students (even in private education environments) aren�t necessarily studying by their own choice. It�s essential to give them a reason to study. participate & aim for excellence in their pursuits. If the teacher can provide a variety of motivating approaches, reasons & support, then there will be less discipline issues.

Discipline problems aren�t always caused by �negative� impulses. They can also be from over enthusiasm & excitement (I feel this would be more from younger teens, but that is only based on anecdotal experience). So it�s important to find ways to harness & direct energy too.

If you aren�t prepared & don�t know more than your students about whatever you�re teaching then (at least some) students are likely to lose respect, tolerance or patience with you. You need to be ready to answer questions & provide alternative communication approaches where necessary. It helps make the lessons flow, provides variety and allows you, the teacher, to control the classroom environment whatever goes on... even if you have to separate fighting juveniles & maintain class order at the same time!

So, to sum up, it �s important to:
- be aware of the reasons that the teens are studying;
- enable achievable goals & provide support for those goals;
- provide clear behaviour boundaries with realistic, enforceable & consistent boundaries (preferably in concert with the students, so they take ownership of the �contract�);
- use a consistent but flexible lesson structure that incorporates both energising & energy focusing components as appropriate to your situation; and
- be organised & know your subject thoroughly.

Regards,
AB

p.s. if you send a PM to aftab57 asking for some help, you�ll probably get some great information!

19 Nov 2009     

WestHampstead
Spain

I agree with you, very good explanation, you impressed me!!

19 Nov 2009     

Mar0919
Mexico

Alien Boy has summed it up so well and so clear, repeating would be unnecessary.

Regards!

Mar

20 Nov 2009     

agatawet
Poland

Thanks a lot HugUnfortunately I have no previous experience of work with teenagers.I had practice only in Primary School.So I would be really grateful for every kind of help Big smile
What I need the most is characteristics of teenagers.

With regards,

Aga

20 Nov 2009