Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > HELP ME PLEASE TURKISH COLLEAGUES!!!    

HELP ME PLEASE TURKISH COLLEAGUES!!!

duygu_85
Turkey

HELP ME PLEASE TURKISH COLLEAGUES!!!

Hi to all!!
I need your help my turkish colleagues!! I am planning to give my students a performance work ! You know ss should show their performance in this  work! I mean performance = performance:)
Anyway; I am planning to give my students a kind of oral work; that is : i have found penfriends for my students from this site and i am planning to want my students to describe their penfriends and their countries orally!! Can this be a performance work? please help me?( i am asking this in terms of inspectors)

9 Nov 2008      

spring
Turkey

Hi Duygu,
Of course this work can be regarded as performance work.But you know assessing speaking performance is always difficult.Being objective is a must and to what content you will do the avaluating must be done neatly in advance.To which areas will you give points???Grammer,fluency,using new vocabulary,researching,accuracy...
You should prepare forms for all your SS which show how SS got those points.Inspectors pay attention to these evaluating forms.
And another points is time..Do you have enough lesson time to assess speaking performance??You cannot do evaluating after the lesson.It should be done right after speaking so as not to forget.If you have a small group of SS then everything is easy.
I advice you to give written projects because evaluation is done more objectively.For example they can write about their pen-pals in one lesson time for about two weeks.You can observe them while doing dictionary searching,writing e.t.c and when Ss hand over the papers you can do the evaluation on a basis of grammar,punctuation,using new words and you can also include their 2 weeks time in the category of preparation and researching..
Wish you the best..

9 Nov 2008     

duygu_85
Turkey

pinar thanks a lot!! whenever sb needs help ,you are there; you are so kind,thanks a lot; to be honest I thought that the evaluation would be diffucul but i thought that it would worth trying... i thought this for my 8th grades, there 17students in the class,so it would probabaly take two hours of lesson, but anyway your idea is i think better than mine, A writing task would be better i guess!!
So the evaluation would be easier i guess; but the problem is: would this writing task be a performance wokr?Actually it is,because they will show their performance in writing ha?
thanks pinar for your quick answer,and one more question, what is your performance work for your 6th and 8th grades?if you have those classes of course?

9 Nov 2008     

spring
Turkey

Thank you Duygu for your lovely words.I have got at least 40 Ss in my classes and I have 8 classes so it is impossible for me to give speaking performances.To assess speaking I usually give in-class performance work.Like role-plays,illustrating tv ads e.t.c But with 17Ss you can easily handle speaking activities.
Last year for 6th,7th and 8th grades I gave the group work of preparing a magazine.SS found it pretty enjoyable but they really studied hard cos I required at least 15 pages:)))It was difficult but I like to put them in challenging conditions.Learning really occurs in this conditions.
For this term I haven�t decided yet but for 6th grades I am thinking of giving a project about Turkey.I and Olga(Makol) agreed on a school partnership.Our first task is to introduce our countries.I will also assess students work as a performance work.For 8th grades you can use unit 3-body care- Ss can invent a beauty trade and introduce their products by using the new voc they have learnt.
For further questions you can also use my contact Duygu.
See ya:)))

9 Nov 2008     

duygu_85
Turkey

thanks pinar for your help,you helped a lot!!:))

9 Nov 2008