Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > > Need your opinion    

Need your opinion

Pastanaga
Spain

Need your opinion

Cry Hi all,
Today one of my contribution �s been reported and removed, I got a pm a few minutes ago. This worksheet was about giving directions and had over 1000 downloads. It was a good worksheet but somebody said to be stolen from a book Interchange or something. The only thing that could be stolen is the picture, that I didn �t took from this book but from another worksheet from this site. BUt that �s not the point.

The thing is that I understand that some members might agree that it is stolen because I took the picture from somewhere but I see many great contributions here (that I would never report) that have pictures taken from somewhere else and they �re still here.

Look at these two contributions, I like them very much and have both in my computer since a long ago. Do you think that the contributors draw the pictures themselves?

Of course they didn �t, they took these images from books and I �m glad they did because the worksheets are very good.

There are many more examples of worksheets like mine in this site that are very valuable. Just look at the top downloads in every section.

My question is: if we want to use a picture, to make a content clear do we have to draw the pictures ourselves?

Please don �t answer that we can take images from the Internet, at that respect I can tell you that most of the images we all use have copyrights, and royalty free does not mean �use freely � at all. Very litlle sites offer images that you can use for free, not even Photosearch or Clipartguide display images that you can copy freely.

It would be nice to read your opinion on this one.

Silvia

22 Nov 2009      

PhilipR
Thailand

I think we should stop acting as if we �re the Copyright Police Squad.

22 Nov 2009     

elfelena
Russian Federation

I agree with you, Philip.

Personally, as we do not earn money on those pictures that we include into worksheets - I think we do not do anything bad at all!

We try to help people learn English and we share with teachers.

We should not be so cruel concerning pictures.

22 Nov 2009     

Nuria08
Spain

Hi Pastanaga!

If you made all the activities in your worksheet on your own, and the only thing you borrowed was the picture, I don �t understand why your worksheet was reported and removed.
I usually take all my images from the Internet, so all my worksheets could be removed following the same standards.
Have you asked Victor about it? Do you know who reported your worksheet as stolen? I sometimes have the feeling we are all being watched closely by some members and...we will be reported sooner or later!!! Scary, ah?
I �m really sorry little carrot!
I wish I could help!
Hugs from Terres de L �Ebre!

22 Nov 2009     

Nessie33
Germany

Yes  , Nuria08. I think you are right!Smile
Dear Pastanaga!! Dont pay attention , have a nice Sunday ! Your works are wonderful Thumbs Up

22 Nov 2009     

jecika
Serbia

Agree with PhilipR ... there are only a few members on the site talented enough to do their own drawings either by hand or using MW Autoshapes ... the rest of us use pictures found on the net or books (as far as I know Victor stated once that he �s got nothing against using pictures from books ... I might be wrong though Confused )
Pastanaga, send a PM to Victor with your explanation and he will probably restore your points Smile
Greetings from "totally confused by rules continuously changing"  Jecika

22 Nov 2009     

Morrisons Eyes
France

I hope to help you, because I think that to remove a ws because you used material from a book is not fair...

So I checked for France what the law said and you can reproduce a document as long as it is a short extract from a book or any other kind of document (eg. a detail from a painting) and that you do not forget to indicate the bibliography (maybe in that matter, we, teachers, should start doing it consistantly so that nobody �s blamed for using extract material under copyright).

Of course, I tried to see what international copyright law said but my short searches didn �t lead me anywhere. Still, I believe that what French law says in that matter might also prevail in many countries (at least all European Union is concerned).

Hope to help you get your ws back, Sylvia.
Take care,

ME

22 Nov 2009     

Denisa
Romania

YES, RIGHT, WE ALL TAKE OUR PICS FROM THE NET...SHOULD ALL OUR WORKS BE REPORTED AND REMOVED? IN THAT CASE THIS SITE WOULD BE VERY "POOR"...
IF THE ONLY "SIN" OF YOURS IS "BORROWING" THE PICS...MAYBE THE BEST THING TO DO IS TO ASK VICTOR TO TAKE A LOOK AND PUT THE THINGS IN ORDER...
CAN YOU GIVE US THE LINK TO YOUR WORKSHEET?..JUST TO SEE THE COMMENTS, THE EXPLANATION OF THE PERSON WHO REPORTED IT...

22 Nov 2009     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Dear Pastanaga,

I don �t remember the ws you �re talking about but:
-we can use short text and images from the net or book as far as we acknowledge the source and if it �s not against copyrights. For example booglessworld or mes-english state on their sites that their images may be used for personal use only. That �s mean we can use it for our students only, not to for wss we upload to other sites (like this one, eg. ) So before using any image, we should check on this too.
And for your information: There are members here, who pay for the images they are using (I know Vanda pays for lots of them and some other members too;o). So in that cases they are allowed to use them for materials they upload to other sites.

Hope this will help you and some other members to understand why some wss have been removed.

Regards, Michaela

22 Nov 2009     

Pastanaga
Spain

Thank you all for you kind support, it �s good to see that more people understand how I feel. I don �t have the link to my worksheet because it no longer exists, I wish I had logged in yesterday.

A big hug from SpainSmile

22 Nov 2009     

_babz
Canada

over 1000s downloads?

and it was removed? That �s totally unfair. I �ve said this once, and I �ll keep on saying it again, NOBODY on eslprintables uses their own pictures - or texts for that matter.

in any case, even if you did take the pic: 1000 downloads!

all those users, moderators or not, decided it was good enough to download...I think that if a contribution has that many downloads, it should NOT be removed, and I wish I had seen it in the moderators � page, cause I wouldn �t have voted to be removed...

STOP THIS WITCH HUNT people! 

and Victor...please do something about this.

22 Nov 2009     

1    2    Next >