Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > cafe and coffee shop....     

cafe and coffee shop....

Judith@rwen
Argentina

cafe and coffee shop....

Hi,

Could you help me please? what �s the difference between a coffee shop and a cafe?

Thank you

23 Nov 2009      

Je suis papillon
Argentina

Hi!!!

Here you have the meaning of both words, I�ve taken them from  LONGMAN, DICTIONARY OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND CULTURE.

coffee shop: especially AmE a small restaurant, often in a hotel, that serves drinks and simple inexpensive meals. 2 a shop that sells various kinds of coffee.
cafe, caf�: a small restaurant where lights meals and drinks (in Britain only nonalcoholic drinks) are served.

I hope it will be useful!
Have a nice week!!!

23 Nov 2009     

Judith@rwen
Argentina

Thanks! 

23 Nov 2009     

PhilipR
Thailand

A coffee shop in Holland doesn �t serve coffee or food at all...

23 Nov 2009     

KathieB
China

In Australia
Coffee Shops and Cafes are interchangeable.  These days in Australia, both sell coffee/refreshments/light meals.

I �ll see you at the cafe.   I �ll see you at the coffee shop. 

23 Nov 2009     

Judith@rwen
Argentina

Thank you people for giving me your opinion. I did look them up on the dictionary but I wasn �t too sure about the exact difference. When I lived in England I heard people calling �coffee shop � a small place inside a building which sold �mainly � sweets, chocolates and hot drinks but didn �t have a place to sit down.

Anyway, Thanks

23 Nov 2009     

libertybelle
United States

In the USA - a coffee shop opened early and  served the best breakfasts!
Lots of truck drivers and other people who were on the road in the wee hours
needed a place to stop and eat. Cafes open later or at least they did back then.
AT a Coffee shop you could get a breakfast filled with calories!!!
Coffee, ham and eggs and bacon, French toast, pancakes and flapjacks.  A coffee shop usually stayed open til late at night.
There was no live entertainment as there are a some cafes. It wasn �t trendy in the old days.
Cafes are more trendy, have salads and many different kinds of coffee.
Coffee shops were often bigger than cafes, which were smaller and more intimate.
That �s how I remember them.

http://www.googieart.com/Dennys-C3016.htm

23 Nov 2009