Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > question    

question

kamalnazmi
United Arab Emirates

question

hi dear, I �ve got a question..
When I want to use " wish " as a verb , I say:

I wish you were with me. ( I �m making a wish here)

I wish you to be   okay   .  (  to express a desire  I can use wish + to infinitive)

but my question is
when I want to ask about someone( his state) now, in the present time,
shall I say :
I wish you were okay.

or is it fine to say:
I wish you are okay     .       (     since    I �m asking      here      about his  pesent state)

23 Nov 2009      

anne.candan
United Kingdom

Sorry - you can �t say I wish you to be OK, nether can you say I wish you are OK.

When you use wish we are talknig about hypothetical situations. Even if we are talking about the present you have to say I wish you were OK.

However in this situation the person is NOT OK.

If you don �t know if the other person is OK or not, then you don �t use wish - you �d say I hope you are OK.

Anne

23 Nov 2009     

jessica farias
Argentina

You can use the verb "Wish" to express something you would like to change or be different about a situation.  If you refer about something in the present your wish must be in the past; if the fact is about the past the wish should be in the past perfect tense (you go a tense back)

I wish I were taller (I am short)
I wish I had gone to university. ( I didn �t go to university)

Hope it helps.

Jessica

24 Nov 2009     

kamalnazmi
United Arab Emirates

So it �s better in this case for a person to say: I hope you are OK. In fact this is exactly what I �m looking for , because I �m quite sure about the use of past tenses when using the verb " wish" . But I wanted to make sure that in such a case when we don �t know whether the second person is OK now or not, we can use another verb like " hope" but wish is certainly unaccepted. ,,
You did me a big favour guys .I �m really thankful.

24 Nov 2009