Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Relevancy and flashcards    

Relevancy and flashcards

PhilipR
Thailand

Relevancy and flashcards

I noticed that the last days (and weeks) there are still quite a few members who upload wss about Halloween. I thought Halloween was over and done with for this year. Wouldn�t it be a better idea to wait and upload next September? Instead, I �d like to see wss about Xmas and New Year. Surely this is a no-brainer?

As for flashcards, I think there should be minimum 8 in a set, and preferably pictures without text (or text without pictures if we want to check word recognition). What is the use of showing students a flashcard of a dog or an apple and ask them what it is when the word is just written below the picture? Text should be in a separate answer key (for the more difficult flashcards, not for the dog ;-)

24 Nov 2009      

alien boy
Japan

Hi Philip,

I won �t go into the �no brainer �, because after all, it is!

Regarding flash cards, there has been a standard set by Victor, so that �s good enough for me. I�d have to say, though, that unless a set of flashcards I see here is exceptional, I�m unlikely to download it no matter the size because I usually make my own & use higher resolution images for larger cards.

With regard to words on flashcards, a lot depends on the literacty level of the students as to whether or not they can read the words that are there anyway. Where I teach we always include words on our flashcards, the idea being that students are then exposed to the alphabet & spelling, even if they don �t yet understand/read the words. Depending on the size & layout of the flashcard in question it �s also very easy to cover the word, if you so desire. As the uploads here are Word documents it is always possible to edit out any words that are on the flashcard - even if all you do is add a textbox over the top of an image to hide the offending letters.

Cheers,
AB

24 Nov 2009